waxwing

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next few days ASAP
BUDGET RANGE: ~$1000 US

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:DAW, light gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: video card (just bought a Radeon 4670, monitor (have a 24" and 22" LCD)

PREFERRED STORE FOR PARTS: Micro Center (I live very close to the one here in Chicago). Would like to buy the parts in person.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel inside

OVERCLOCKING: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: quiet, please (but not obsessively, since I don't do acoustic recording at home)

I was all set to go with a cheaper 1156/i5 setup, but my wife, who's a mathematician who uses a lot of Matlab, Mathematica would like to use the computer once in a while, so maybe the 1366 would be better.

Further, I'll have to use 32-bit XP SP3 for another 2 months until my new digital audio FW gear comes. My current adapter is PCI and there are no 64-bit drivers. Since I have to use XP 32bit, can I use 3gig RAM to save money in the short term until budget allows for 6 or 12 gig? If so, do I have to buy 3 x 1gig DIMMs or can I use 2 x 2gig DIMMS for now?

NOTE: I'll have another $500 to put into the system in a few months, but I have to be able to work now. At that time, I'll get more RAM and other stuff if neccessary. Oh, and I have built systems before, but not in the past 3 years.

Thanks. I really appreciate Tom's Hardware and this forum.

TRENDING THREADS