Question DDR4 3200mhz CL19 vs CL22 For Intel Laptop

Dec 18, 2023
I have a asus fx507zi 2023 which has an i7 12700h and comes with 2 sticks of 8GB DDR4 3200mhz CL19. i want more ram, so im planning to get a 1x32GB stick of ram and get two of them since i cant seem to find a 2x32GB kit in my local store. i was wondering if there was any difference between cl19 and cl22. My only 2 real options are the Crucial 32GB 3200 DDR4 CT32G4SFD832A which is cl22 and the KINGSTON FURY 32GB 3200U DDR4 SODIMM IMPACT BLACK RAM For Laptop | KF432S20IB/32 which is cl20. I mostly game (counter strike, call of duty, r6,valorant), sometimes i edit videos with davinci resolve. i just want more ram for the vms i run sometimes, i normally run 2/3 at a time. i just want to know if its gonna make any noticeable difference in terms of system responsiveness, in game, while editing (not the ram capacity, the speed)

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
If you are buying an entirely new kit to replace both current sticks in your system, you can order RAM with more latency, as long as both sticks you are buying come in the same kit. If you can afford it, get the memory with lower latency, CL19. Lower latency RAM performs better than memory with high latency, as lower latency sticks can begin processing data quicker. Hope this helped, take care.

Lutfij

Titan
im planning to get a 1x32GB stick of ram and get two of them since i cant seem to find a 2x32GB kit in my local store.
Per your laptop's specs page;
the max supported ram is 32GB's. You might want to reconsider an go with a 2x16GB ram kit.

Dec 18, 2023
im planning to get a 1x32GB stick of ram and get two of them since i cant seem to find a 2x32GB kit in my local store.
Per your laptop's specs page;
the max supported ram is 32GB's. You might want to reconsider an go with a 2x16GB ram kit.
its actually this one: https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-gaming/tuf-gaming/asus-tuf-gaming-f15-2023/techspec/ . all i did was search for the i7 12700h on intel's website and it says Memory Specifications: Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 64 GB (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2700h-processor-24m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz.html). However looking back at asus' website it does say max capacity 32GB...why is that? it should just work... Running wmic memphysical get maxcapacity yields:
MaxCapacity
isnt that 64GB?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023
If you are buying an entirely new kit to replace both current sticks in your system, you can order RAM with more latency, as long as both sticks you are buying come in the same kit. If you can afford it, get the memory with lower latency, CL19. Lower latency RAM performs better than memory with high latency, as lower latency sticks can begin processing data quicker. Hope this helped, take care.
the issue i have is i cant find anyone in my country thats selling a 2x32GB kit, all i have is 1x32GB, so i thought why not buy 2 of the same.. wouldnt that just work? also all i have for options is cl20 and cl22. i just want to know if its worth paying like 80 dollars more for c20, instead of just getting the crucial ram that is cl22

I have a asus fx507zi 2023 which has an i7 12700h and comes with 2 sticks of 8GB DDR4 3200mhz CL19. i want more ram, so im planning to get a 1x32GB stick of ram and get two of them since i cant seem to find a 2x32GB kit in my local store. i was wondering if there was any difference between cl19 and cl22. My only 2 real options are the Crucial 32GB 3200 DDR4 CT32G4SFD832A which is cl22 and the KINGSTON FURY 32GB 3200U DDR4 SODIMM IMPACT BLACK RAM For Laptop | KF432S20IB/32 which is cl20. I mostly game (counter strike, call of duty, r6,valorant), sometimes i edit videos with davinci resolve. i just want more ram for the vms i run sometimes, i normally run 2/3 at a time. i just want to know if its gonna make any noticeable difference in terms of system responsiveness, in game, while editing (not the ram capacity, the speed)
Go here and run the scanner see what it shows.
Crucial

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Dec 18, 2023
Last edited:
scanner just keeps running, says while we're finding compatible upgrades for your computer... after some research tho, some websites say i does support 64GB of ram others say 32gb like this one: https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/model/108159/asus-tuf-gaming-f15-2023 .its very confusing...question remains ddr4 3200 cl22 vs cl19 vs cl20, any difference? in my case all i can get is cl20 or cl22.
Lower cl is better but you have to balance cost.
I would not expect to see anything dramatic perf wise with which ever cl you pick.

Dec 18, 2023
i think price wise i would rather go with the crucial ram which is cl22. can i use 2 of the same sticks? i cant find any 2x32GB, there is only 1x32GB. also, i just talked to asus support and all they said about this was that capacity wise they only tested to max of 32GB but it MIGHT work. what do you guys think?

i think price wise i would rather go with the crucial ram which is cl22. can i use 2 of the same sticks? i cant find any 2x32GB, there is only 1x32GB. also, i just talked to asus support and all they said about this was that capacity wise they only tested to max of 32GB but it MIGHT work. what do you guys think?
The first step is you want a 2 stick KIT of ram not 2 separate sticks.
Next do you need more that 32GB of ram?
Most folks don't.

Dec 18, 2023
The first step is you want a 2 stick KIT of ram not 2 separate sticks.
Next do you need more that 32GB of ram?
Most folks don't.
yes i know that i need a 2 stick kit but i cant find any. so i just thought why not get just two sticks of the same ram, its the same speed,same brand...should work. also the reason i need lots of ram is mainly because of vms, i run 2/3 simultaneously and i would like to allocate more ram

yes i know that i need a 2 stick kit but i cant find any. so i just thought why not get just two sticks of the same ram, its the same speed,same brand...should work. also the reason i need lots of ram is mainly because of vms, i run 2/3 simultaneously and i would like to allocate more ram
If you get 2 separate sticks they may not play nice together even if they are the same brand and speed.