Question DDR4 or DDR5 for FPS Gaming

Jan 25, 2023
Is DDR4 or DDR5 the best option for FPS gaming?

I have got F5-7800J3646H16GX2-TZ5RK G-Skill, has about a 9.4 FWL, looking to use on a high end Z790 ROG mobo (with intel 12900k).
I see I can also easily find 7ns DDR4. Considering only peak performance, and nothing else, with 0.1% lows in mind, and considering perhaps a great overclock on DDR5 could yield low FWL,
what are peoples thoughts on what could be better?
DDR5 availability seemed low to me, and I jumped at getting some. I prefer however to get what is right.

The timings on the RAM are 36-46-46-125, just wonder whether its not great having like the 125 or the 46 for instance.

Maybe I should just pull the rip cord and try it instead of second guessing it. And could maybe pull off a major overclock on a great mobo anyway.

Thanks for reading, your thoughts appreicated!

Best

Last edited:

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
I upgraded from a DDR3 recently, and I went for DDR5. For gaming these days, whether DDR4 or DDR5, in itself that makes next to no difference (perhaps some 2-3 FPS more with DDR5). DDR5 is supposedly better at supporting CPUs with many cores though, which was quite a selling point for me to pick up in my case an AM5 mainboard and DDR5 with it, to be able to plop in even future high-end CPU without it getting bottlenecked (instead of now paying for DDR4 and MB, which I would stop using perhaps already in a year or so).

Jan 25, 2023
You won't notice any difference right now but given DDR5 is relatively affordable now even at 6000Mhz, there is a case for simply getting the latest on the basis it might matter within the lifetime of the machine.
Thanks and that is a great point about the lifetime of the machine. I just want to try and get something that is good now, as ive played on a 1060GPU for years and get my ass handed to me directly in any 50/50 situation.

Jan 25, 2023
I upgraded from a DDR3 recently, and I went for DDR5. For gaming these days, whether DDR4 or DDR5, in itself that makes next to no difference (perhaps some 2-3 FPS more with DDR5). DDR5 is supposedly better at supporting CPUs with many cores though, which was quite a selling point for me to pick up in my case an AM5 mainboard and DDR5 with it, to be able to plop in even future high-end CPU without it getting bottlenecked (instead of now paying for DDR4 and MB, which I would stop using perhaps already in a year or so).
The extra fps i wasnt considering, Just 0.1% lows, and those micro seconds that make the difference. DDR5 could be sounding better and of course future proof. I just wonder if the 7ns versus 9ns will leave me losing out to anyone who may install a better option in their PC. I suppose there a whole lot of theory behind this I dont know and DDR5 could well be fastewr even if the 9ns figure is slower.

I am also interested in anything you have to say about choosing AMD over intel as im open to anything, I have seen FPS gamers going to AMD. Though there new release after new release so its back and forth at times.

Thanks and that is a great point about the lifetime of the machine. I just want to try and get something that is good now, as ive played on a 1060GPU for years and get my ass handed to me directly in any 50/50 situation.
I'm not aware of an FPS game that shows a noticeable improvement with DDR5 in any realistic usage scenario. However 32GB of DDR5 6000 can be had for £156 in the UK. I paid £150 for 16GB DDR4, to me in the context of the whole build with an i7 or i9 CPU, paying the extra £75 just in case it might be needed down the line is worth doing.