RoyalNexus101

Commendable
Jan 26, 2020
Hi! I wanna start this off by saying that I've had this system for a number of years now, it's fairly old so I've been expecting something to give sooner or later.

Now, as for the problem, my computer is failing to boot, no post screen or code, just fan-spin and LEDs. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this was the result of the motherboard/CPU dying, or possibly a faulty power supply from the symptoms exhibited the night it broke, as I have no spare parts or tools in order to test it myself.

I also want to say that about 2 or 3 months ago, the previous power-supply I had ended up shorting, most likely due to age. I ended up purchasing a SilverStone ST65F-GS. Whether the short turned the mobo into a ticking time-bomb or not, I dunno, but I thought I'd mention it. As for the symptoms, I was playing during a storm (was raiding so threw caution to the wind), suddenly very loud crack of thunder coincides with the ethernet port on my mobo seemingly dying (I was plugged into my router, however control panel wouldn't recognise it), decided to try disabling and re-enabling the adapter in control panel which took forever and didn't seem to disable the adapter in the first place. I also tried to close Chrome while I was troubleshooting but I'm pretty sure it never completely got flushed from RAM. Other than that, the computer seemed responsive so I just decided to restart it, however Windows wouldn't shut down properly, so I pulled the plug... and well, here we are.

I'm pretty sure myself that it's the motherboard that's dead, so I was thinking of just upgrading my whole rig. Thought I'd ask here first though in the case anybody thought otherwise or had any suggestions. My motherboard is a DX79SR by the way, also, first post!