Oct 18, 2020
Hi About a day ago I turned off my pc, and right after hopped back on to help my friend but it wouldn’t turn on. I though I narrowed down the problem to be my motherboard, but I just got a new motherboard and plugged everything in and it seems to still not work. I tested my psu by using a paper clip and seeing if the fan spins, which it did. So if it’s not the psu and I just got a new motherboard what could the problem be?

Oct 18, 2020
What are the specs for this system (make/model of all installed components, especially the PSU)?
I have a GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Graphics Card,
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor, my old motherboard is a Gigabyte B450 AORUS Elite Gaming Mother Board, my new motherboard ( just got it today ) is a MSI B550 Gaming Plus AMD Motherboard, my psu is a EVGA 650 BQ 80+ Bronze Power Supply, I got 16GB ram Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3.2 GHz DDR4 Dram, and for storage I got a 240 SSD and a 1tb Hardrive.

deadpoolxxxxx

Prominent
May 14, 2019
I tested out the PSU with the paper clip and the fans spinning so it must be my CPU?
Yes most likely your cpu is dead. But other reasons that could lead to the mobo not turning on:-
  1. Improper installation of CPU or GPU or the RAM
  2. The motherboard is dead
  3. The CPU is dead( mentioned earlier)
  4. The power cables are not attached properly.
  5. Not enough power
  6. Short circuit
But in your case ruling out any PSU problems it must either your cpu is dead or the mobo is dead( could be both) or may be the ram is faulty provided you have properly installed it.

Oct 18, 2020
Yes most likely your cpu is dead. But other reasons that could lead to the mobo not turning on:-
  5. Not enough power
  6. Short circuit
But in your case ruling out any PSU problems it must either your cpu is dead or the mobo is dead( could be both) or may be the ram is faulty provided you have properly installed it.

Oct 18, 2020
  5. Not enough power
  6. Short circuit
Ok then I’m gunna go out and get another cpu, I don’t think its my motherboard because I just got today. But wouldn’t the motherboard atleast light up without the cpu installed

deadpoolxxxxx

Prominent
May 14, 2019
Ok then I’m gunna go out and get another cpu, I don’t think its my motherboard because I just got today. But wouldn’t the motherboard atleast light up without the cpu installed
Yes modern mobos have an inbuilt cpu so that you can do some self testing without even installing the ram and the CPU so yes it should atleast blink some light or beep the speakers before cpu and ram installation. You must get your motherboard checked too; it doesn't matter if you have purchased it today might be a manufacturing defect.
Edit- However you would get no bios settings,etc , you can only power it on without the cpu and the ram

Oct 18, 2020
Yes modern mobos have an inbuilt cpu so that you can do some self testing without even installing the ram and the CPU so yes it should atleast blink some light or beep the speakers before cpu and ram installation. You must get your motherboard checked too; it doesn't matter if you have purchased it today might be a manufacturing defect.
Ok I’ll let you know what happens