Question Dead PCI-E slot or bad GPU?

Aug 24, 2018
Hello all,
I recently built my PC about a week ago and everything was going fine. I had built it at a friends house and after taking it home and plugging it in I saw I had the red VGA led light on my MOBO. This issue was not present after building at his house and only started happening when I brought it home. After many times of unplugging and plugging back in cables from the PSU and GPU the computer would boot but then after having it turned off for awhile the red VGA light would come back. I decided to move my GPU to the bottom PCI-E slot to see if that made a difference and the computer always boots and I don't have that VGA light showing up. When moving it back to the top slot the light continues to be there and the computer won't boot even after many tries. So my question is do I have a faulty top PCI-E slot or did my GPU do something? If I do have a faulty slot I most likely will exchange the MOBO since the purchase was so recent.
Specs
CPU: Ryzen 2700x (Stock)
GPU: RTX 2060 Zotac AMP 6GB
PSU: EVGA BQ 600W Bronze Rated
MOBO: MSI B450 Pro Carbon Gaming AC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance pro (x2 8GB DDR4 3200MHZ)

Hello all,
I recently built my PC about a week ago and everything was going fine. I had built it at a friends house and after taking it home and plugging it in I saw I had the red VGA led light on my MOBO. This issue was not present after building at his house and only started happening when I brought it home. After many times of unplugging and plugging back in cables from the PSU and GPU the computer would boot but then after having it turned off for awhile the red VGA light would come back. I decided to move my GPU to the bottom PCI-E slot to see if that made a difference and the computer always boots and I don't have that VGA light showing up. When moving it back to the top slot the light continues to be there and the computer won't boot even after many tries. So my question is do I have a faulty top PCI-E slot or did my GPU do something? If I do have a faulty slot I most likely will exchange the MOBO since the purchase was so recent.
Specs
CPU: Ryzen 2700x (Stock)
GPU: RTX 2060 Zotac AMP 6GB
PSU: EVGA BQ 600W Bronze Rated
MOBO: MSI B450 Pro Carbon Gaming AC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance pro (x2 8GB DDR4 3200MHZ)

Curiously, the TOP PCIex16 slot gets it's lanes directly from the CPU and are Gen 3. The bottom PCIe X16 slot, which is wired only for X4, gets it's lanes from the B450 chipset and are Gen 2.

Raises the question whether it's the CPU that could it be defective. Or could it be the GPU only fails trying to initialize at Gen 3 with 16 full lanes.

Motherboard's as good a guess as any to start. But if you could test out another GPU in your board would be nice.