[SOLVED] Dead PWRBTN Pins on motherboard

Apr 22, 2021
Hello,
So my pc stopped turning on. First i thought the power button was the problem. So i removed it from the wires and tried touching them together to turn it on. That didn’t work. Then I thought the power supply died but i tried putting a wire in the green and black cable pins on the 24 pins connector and the PSU turned on. Turned out that the 2 pins on the motherboard who connect the power button to the motherboard burned or something cause they were all black when i removed the connector from them. So my question is: Is there any way to turn on my computer if those 2 pins are dead or repair them somehow? I also tried connecting them with several metal objects and it still didn’t turn on so Im almost sure they are dead.

Solution
Hey, thank you for the answer. So i connected the green and black wires from the backside of the connector and everything worked as normal. So i guess either the pins on the pwrbtn are dead or that part of the motherboard is dead. Either way my concern now is if its safe to keep the 24 pin connector wires together like that.Thanks in advance.

As I understand it, motherboard 'power-good' circuitry is what controls turning on and off the PSU when you push the button to momentarily short the power pins. Doing it like you are (by constantly shorting the green/black wires of the 24 pin connector) you're by-passing that circuit. That the circuit itself isn't working means something's wrong on the motherboard. Or maybe even the power...
Did you have the 24 pin connector disconnected when you shorted the green to black wires? Try doing the same thing with 24 pin connector connected to the motherboard. You should be able to get to the contact through the backside of the connected 24 pin connector. The power pins on the motherboard really don't just fail. If the motherboard isn't turning on it's due to a fault of some sort that's preventing it.

I'd try removing everything...cpu, memory, gpu, even drives...to see if at least the fans will pulse or LED's light up when you try to turn it on. If it doesn't then the motherboard is probably bad and needs replacement. If it does then add things back in, one at a time, until you find the one that makes it not even try. That will probably be a defective component.

Just clean the two power pins on the motherboard and short them with a small screwdriver for a second, if the PSU and the motherboard are OK it should start normally. The pins on the front panel header are very strong, you can bend them without problem so I doubt that there is a problem with the pins.

Apr 22, 2021
Did you have the 24 pin connector disconnected when you shorted the green to black wires? Try doing the same thing with 24 pin connector connected to the motherboard. You should be able to get to the contact through the backside of the connected 24 pin connector. The power pins on the motherboard really don't just fail. If the motherboard isn't turning on it's due to a fault of some sort that's preventing it.

I'd try removing everything...cpu, memory, gpu, even drives...to see if at least the fans will pulse or LED's light up when you try to turn it on. If it doesn't then the motherboard is probably bad and needs replacement. If it does then add things back in, one at a time, until you find the one that makes it not even try. That will probably be a defective component.
Hey, thank you for the answer. So i connected the green and black wires from the backside of the connector and everything worked as normal. So i guess either the pins on the pwrbtn are dead or that part of the motherboard is dead. Either way my concern now is if its safe to keep the 24 pin connector wires together like that.Thanks in advance.

As I understand it, motherboard 'power-good' circuitry is what controls turning on and off the PSU when you push the button to momentarily short the power pins. Doing it like you are (by constantly shorting the green/black wires of the 24 pin connector) you're by-passing that circuit. That the circuit itself isn't working means something's wrong on the motherboard. Or maybe even the power supply as it might not be sending a 'power is good' signal to the mother board circuit because it's not within allowable limits.So bypassing that may cause further harm to the system by forcing the motherboard to operate with a 'bad power' condition.

I'd at least try swapping out to another 'known good' PSU to see if the problem persists to rule out the PSU as having bad power.

Last edited:
Solution