Question Decent M.2 NVMe?

xtremexyz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2018
Hi,

I'm looking for a decent M.2 NVMe so I can store games on it. Not thinking of spending too much on one, maybe around £40-£70. 1TB capacity onwards. Thanks!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
In addition to needing to wait for your specs, have you considered just a regular SSD? The difference in performance between the two formats is quite limited when we're talking random reads rather than sequential ones, so on a tight budget, you may simply get more bang for the buck (what's the UK equivalent? More ground for the pound? More did for the quid?) with a SATA SSD.

xtremexyz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2018
What are the rest of the specs of your system?
Primarily the motherboard...but really, everything.
Whoops, forgot to mention.

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 3600 3.6GHz
RAM: Corsair 2x16GB 3200MHz Vengeance LPX DDR4
GPU: PowerColor RX 580 8GB
PSU: Corsair CV550w

xtremexyz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2018
In addition to needing to wait for your specs, have you considered just a regular SSD? The difference in performance between the two formats is quite limited when we're talking random reads rather than sequential ones, so on a tight budget, you may simply get more bang for the buck (what's the UK equivalent? More ground for the pound? More did for the quid?) with a SATA
I haven't considered it, however since I already have one, but really for my OS, and since my NVMe slot is empty, might as well get one and occupy it.

But if I can find an SSD that's better value than the NVMe then I'd consider it although the pricing seems more or less similar.

USAFRet

Titan
Whoops, forgot to mention.

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 3600 3.6GHz
RAM: Corsair 2x16GB 3200MHz Vengeance LPX DDR4
GPU: PowerColor RX 580 8GB
PSU: Corsair CV550w

Your motherboard has 1x M.2 port.
What drive is your OS on currently?

There is little actual difference in game use between all the various flavors of solid state drives.

xtremexyz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2018

Your motherboard has 1x M.2 port.
What drive is your OS on currently?

There is little actual difference in game use between all the various flavors of solid state drives.
It's on my Integral 250GB 2.5 SSD.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Hi,

I'm looking for a decent M.2 NVMe so I can store games on it. Not thinking of spending too much on one, maybe around £40-£70. 1TB capacity onwards. Thanks!

Don't chase 'speed'. That is mostly irrelevant.

Instead, look to reliability, warranty, company reputation.

Agree with this. ^

That being said... OP if you are looking to populate your m.2 slot you can't go wrong with Samsung and the 970 Evo Plus... 2TB model is $129 I believe. If you only have 1 slot you should go with 2TB and thank me later.

The 970 had flawless (and fast) performance for me for the past couple years on my prior build... and I kept them as secondary drives in the new build.