[SOLVED] Deciding on Keyboard Switches for Gaming and Typing

casonk17

Commendable
Sep 16, 2018
My town does not really have many tech stores I can try out what switches I like without buying them. This has been even more limited due to COVID and not being able to just go around touching things. I currently have the Steelseries Apex M750 TKL with the QX2 linear switches. I like how light the keys are, but I prefer something that was a little heavier as I find myself often mashing down a key just resting my hand. I think I would like tactile switches as long as the bump you feel does not making it too hard to press and repress it. I was thinking about the MX browns but was wondering if there were any lighter options similar to red switches that had a little indication to pressing the keys. Also I cant do loud switches but do like a muffled clacking noise, but noise is a low concern.

Solution
I was actually thinking about getting a ducky one 2 mini just wondering what type of switch to use with it. (Should have probably clarified that)

This is a totally personal choice, MX Brown has a bit of a bump, as to many of the copies of such from Gateron, Kailh, others. Romer G Tactile from Logitech is nice, but it's only available from Logitech keyboards. Topre keys are also interesting, they have a bit more tactile feel than the linear ones like Red but faster activation than Brown, they are also found in mostly high end keyboards so price may be an issue. You can also get sample key packs if you want to try some out but issue with those is that it's a single key so you don't really get the full feel of using the...

ParaPotatoes

Prominent
Aug 29, 2020
I have found that the corsair k95 platinum has always been good, it never gets hard to press them and it feels really great to do so. Its a bit on the loud side but it has 6 programmable keys and media buttons.

casonk17

Commendable
Sep 16, 2018
I have found that the corsair k95 platinum has always been good, it never gets hard to press them and it feels really great to do so. Its a bit on the loud side but it has 6 programmable keys and media buttons.
I was actually thinking about getting a ducky one 2 mini just wondering what type of switch to use with it. (Should have probably clarified that)

This is a totally personal choice, MX Brown has a bit of a bump, as to many of the copies of such from Gateron, Kailh, others. Romer G Tactile from Logitech is nice, but it's only available from Logitech keyboards. Topre keys are also interesting, they have a bit more tactile feel than the linear ones like Red but faster activation than Brown, they are also found in mostly high end keyboards so price may be an issue. You can also get sample key packs if you want to try some out but issue with those is that it's a single key so you don't really get the full feel of using the keyboard with those, which can be a big difference. Construction of the keyboard and even the keycaps used make a big difference in feel and sound.

Reactions: casonk17
Solution
Sep 13, 2020
This is a totally personal choice, MX Brown has a bit of a bump, as to many of the copies of such from Gateron, Kailh, others. Romer G Tactile from Logitech is nice, but it's only available from Logitech keyboards. Topre keys are also interesting, they have a bit more tactile feel than the linear ones like Red but faster activation than Brown, they are also found in mostly high end keyboards so price may be an issue. You can also get sample key packs if you want to try some out but issue with those is that it's a single key so you don't really get the full feel of using the keyboard with those, which can be a big difference. Construction of the keyboard and even the keycaps used make a big difference in feel and sound.
Yeah i agree. The Romer G switches are great quality