Deleting Temp Files

I have a general question in dealing with how the internet files are stored
using Internet Explorer. I clean out my computer about once a week manually,
deleting temp files with in the local settings folder as well as the windwos
folder, they are hidden all over the place. Does anyone know why you have to
manually type in c:\documents and settings\[current username]\local
settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5 to see the folders contained
whitin that folder. For all other users you can surf there, but it does not
appear unless you type it in the address bar manually for the user you are
logged in as. Just food for thought.

Clean Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and other temporary files:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowstempfiles.htm

Good Luck!
---
How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com

Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
(Links to online virus scans on the same page)

"Seth Fowler" wrote:

> I have a general question in dealing with how the internet files are stored
> using Internet Explorer. I clean out my computer about once a week manually,
> deleting temp files with in the local settings folder as well as the windwos
> folder, they are hidden all over the place. Does anyone know why you have to
> manually type in c:\documents and settings\[current username]\local
> settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5 to see the folders contained
> whitin that folder. For all other users you can surf there, but it does not
> appear unless you type it in the address bar manually for the user you are
> logged in as. Just food for thought.

I've used all of those. If you do go into Windows explorer and manually do
it those files do not dissapear. But, to get to the content.ie5 folder you
even have to manually type it into the address bar for the user you are
logged in with. I don't understand why you can't surf to it. I even have
all of the view options to show me everything.

Thanks.

"r" wrote:

> Clean Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and other temporary files:
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowstempfiles.htm
>
> Good Luck!
> ---
> How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
> for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com
>
> Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
> (Links to online virus scans on the same page)
>

> "Seth Fowler" wrote:
>
> > I have a general question in dealing with how the internet files are stored
> > using Internet Explorer. I clean out my computer about once a week manually,
> > deleting temp files with in the local settings folder as well as the windwos
> > folder, they are hidden all over the place. Does anyone know why you have to
> > manually type in c:\documents and settings\[current username]\local
> > settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5 to see the folders contained
> > whitin that folder. For all other users you can surf there, but it does not
> > appear unless you type it in the address bar manually for the user you are
> > logged in as. Just food for thought.

Don't waste your time on the fixyourwindows.com web site - the guy clearly
doesn't know what he's talking about.

The content.ie5 folder is widely (and wildly) misinterpreted. If you
understand that Windows Explorer is *not* a file viewer (it's a browser for
the namespace) then you'll understand that what you see when you open
content.ie5 is not separate files.

You should forget about content.ie5. It's nothing more than Windows'
internal plumbing. It's not slowing your computer or interfering with its
performance. It's not spying on you, lol, and you accomplish nothing of real
value by attempting to clean it out.

On the other hand, it's worthwhile to clear out your Temporary Internet
Files if you are experiencing browsing problems. You can do this easily from
the Control Panel > Internet Options applet or from within Internet Explorer
itself. IE does a mighty good job on its own, if you know how to set it up:
In the Advanced tab, place a checkmark in 'Empty Temporary Internet Folders
when browser is closed'.

Other than for browsing problems, there's no real need to clean out TIF or
even temp files. If you're so low on disk space that you have to clean your
caches to get your computer to work properly, then it's time for a new hard
disk. Another reason for clearing the caches is to give your antivirus or
antispyware scanners that much less to scan.

Ted Zieglar

"Seth Fowler" <SethFowler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've used all of those. If you do go into Windows explorer and manually
> do
> it those files do not dissapear. But, to get to the content.ie5 folder
> you
> even have to manually type it into the address bar for the user you are
> logged in with. I don't understand why you can't surf to it. I even have
> all of the view options to show me everything.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "r" wrote:
>
>> Clean Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and other temporary files:
>> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowstempfiles.htm
>>
>> Good Luck!
>> ---
>> How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
>> for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
>> http://www.fixyourwindows.com
>>
>> Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
>> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
>> (Links to online virus scans on the same page)
>>

>> "Seth Fowler" wrote:
>>
>> > I have a general question in dealing with how the internet files are
>> > stored
>> > using Internet Explorer. I clean out my computer about once a week
>> > manually,
>> > deleting temp files with in the local settings folder as well as the
>> > windwos
>> > folder, they are hidden all over the place. Does anyone know why you
>> > have to
>> > manually type in c:\documents and settings\[current username]\local
>> > settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5 to see the folders
>> > contained
>> > whitin that folder. For all other users you can surf there, but it
>> > does not
>> > appear unless you type it in the address bar manually for the user you
>> > are
>> > logged in as. Just food for thought.

kangaroo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You can always trust Ted's advice, and you can trust IE Tools Internet
Options buttons to clear your Content.IE5 files, but it doesn't exactly
answer your question.

Nobody seems to know why you can't surf to it, and I've never seen any
benefits offered for this weird implementation. Makes me conclude that it's
a quirk, collateral damage or unintended consequence.

Your Content.IE5 is like the Invisible Man's d*ck. When he goes to the gym,
he can see every else's, but he can't find his own, no matter how often he'd
like to wash it.

"Seth Fowler" <email@address.hidden> wrote in message
271B5660-04F7-48B1-AE97-861B484EA28D@microsoft.com

> I've used all of those. If you do go into Windows explorer and
> manually do it those files do not dissapear. But, to get to the
> content.ie5 folder you even have to manually type it into the address
> bar for the user you are logged in with. I don't understand why you
> can't surf to it. I even have all of the view options to show me
> everything.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "r" wrote:
>
>> Clean Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and other temporary files:
>> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowstempfiles.htm
>>
>> Good Luck!
>> ---
>> How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
>> for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
>> http://www.fixyourwindows.com
>>
>> Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
>> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
>> (Links to online virus scans on the same page)
>>

>> "Seth Fowler" wrote:
>>
>>> I have a general question in dealing with how the internet files
>>> are stored using Internet Explorer. I clean out my computer about
>>> once a week manually, deleting temp files with in the local
>>> settings folder as well as the windwos folder, they are hidden all
>>> over the place. Does anyone know why you have to manually type in
>>> c:\documents and settings\[current username]\local
>>> settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5 to see the folders
>>> contained whitin that folder. For all other users you can surf
>>> there, but it does not appear unless you type it in the address bar
>>> manually for the user you are logged in as. Just food for thought.

Ted did explain. You go to control panel you start a control panel viewer. You go to Temp Internet Files and you start a Temporary Internet Files Viewer, You go to Scheduled Tasks and you start a Scheduled Tasks viewer, You go to My Computer you start a My Computer Viewer. Go to a web page and it loads the html viewer, go to an FTP site and it loads an FTP viewer. If there is no specific viewer for that folder you start a generic folder viewer (unless you open a file rather than a folder then it's the web browser).

It's a NAMESPACE BROWSER.

And if you are deleting files by hand I would suspect unpredictable things happening.

In the directions you were given there is a point to add. In the clear cache dialog you need to tick Delete Offline Content to delete files in TIF that aren't in the cache. This is because other programs dump files in TIF and partially downloaded files are in the folder but not the cache. There are multiple foldes (1 for every 25 MB of saved files). This is solely to speed searching for filenames (and has most benefit on Fat drives - due to fat using a sequential search strategy vs NTFS a binary search strategy) .

If you have problems saving Jpegs/Gifs/Pngs

He's cache is too large. There are two limits. Number of files (hard coded) and amount of space.The cache cleanup (removing oldest entries to allow new entries) only runs when the size of files exceeds the space limit.

Either reduce the size of the cache, clear it manually when full, or download bigger, on average, files. 1 & 2 are the most sensible.

In simple terms the index.dat is full. MS has, at last, decided to fix sometime in the future. The reason that it can save as a bmp is because that's what windows uses internally (everything you see on a screen is a bmp - it can't find the file in the cache but can use the bitmap it made of the jpeg/gif/png to show you the picture. )

http://www.uscricket.com
"Kangaroo" <nobody@nospam.novirus> wrote in message news:%231Kt$FN1EHA.1124@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> You can always trust Ted's advice, and you can trust IE Tools Internet
> Options buttons to clear your Content.IE5 files, but it doesn't exactly
> answer your question.
>
> Nobody seems to know why you can't surf to it, and I've never seen any
> benefits offered for this weird implementation. Makes me conclude that it's
> a quirk, collateral damage or unintended consequence.
>
> Your Content.IE5 is like the Invisible Man's d*ck. When he goes to the gym,
> he can see every else's, but he can't find his own, no matter how often he'd
> like to wash it.
>
> "Seth Fowler" <email@address.hidden> wrote in message
> 271B5660-04F7-48B1-AE97-861B484EA28D@microsoft.com
>
>> I've used all of those. If you do go into Windows explorer and
>> manually do it those files do not dissapear. But, to get to the
>> content.ie5 folder you even have to manually type it into the address
>> bar for the user you are logged in with. I don't understand why you
>> can't surf to it. I even have all of the view options to show me
>> everything.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> "r" wrote:
>>
>>> Clean Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and other temporary files:
>>> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowstempfiles.htm
>>>
>>> Good Luck!
>>> ---
>>> How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
>>> for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
>>> http://www.fixyourwindows.com
>>>
>>> Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
>>> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
>>> (Links to online virus scans on the same page)

Also Disk Cleanup does not show the true value of "0" after you have selected
to delete Temp Files. Mine showed zero and then I ran the following and I had
another 75MB sitting in there. The Value shown only lists files in your Temp
folder that are more than 1 week old. To completely clean it out, it must be
done manually. Open "Run" from the Start Tab if you have it selected to be
listed here and type
%temp% in the Run dialog box, delete everything you find there.

Have fun.......