Dell 20" widescreen LCDs

Is anyone using the Dell 2005FPW (there are two slightly different
models, although I'm not exactly sure how they differ) LCDs?

I was wondering how they compare with ViewSonic and BenQ (FP2091). I
have read a number of somewhat contradictory reports. Most say that the
Dell is a very good LCD for the price, but not so great with video (DVD
playback and games). My concerns are, in order of importance:

1) absolutely sharp text (since I do a lot of typing on my machines)
2) outstanding video playback (I play DVDs on my computers, which sort
of double as TVs right now). A plus for the Dell is that it has S-video
and composite video inputs, so I can hook up a standard DVD player
directly to it.

I've been using my iMac G4, which has a 17" widescreen LCD to watch DVDs
and the quality is exceptional. I realize the Dell is larger.

The reports I read said the Dell was pretty good, but not at all good at
video playback (ghosting, flare, etc.). The ViewSonic was marginally
better at this. BenQ FP2091 was supposed to be quite good but a bit more
expensive.

If you're using any of these monitors, I'd like to hear from you.

robert

I have the 2005FPW. Can you tell me where I can find the info on the
"slightly different models"? I love this monitor! I waited years to
finally jump into the LCD pool and I'm glad I did. This one has great sharp
text, the colors are vivid and POP, DVD movies have played flawlessly. I
don't do gaming. So that pictures won't be distorted (stretched
horizontally), you'll have to view it in it's native resolution...1680x1050.
This is going to decrease the size of the text. It was too small for me so
I upped the dpi from a default 96% to 118% and sleeted "large icons" in the
Start Button properties. It's just right for my needs. The reports I read
said everyone but the most hard core photo editors will be quite pleased
with this monitor. I consider myself semi-hard core when it comes to my
digital photography expectations and this monitor meets those needs :)
Monica

In article <raUJe.2774$zr1.2574@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
Nicholas Andrade <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

> RobertB. wrote:
> > Is anyone using the Dell 2005FPW (there are two slightly different
> > models, although I'm not exactly sure how they differ) LCDs?
> >
> > I was wondering how they compare with ViewSonic and BenQ (FP2091). I
> > have read a number of somewhat contradictory reports. Most say that the
> > Dell is a very good LCD for the price, but not so great with video (DVD
> > playback and games). My concerns are, in order of importance:
> >
> > 1) absolutely sharp text (since I do a lot of typing on my machines)
> > 2) outstanding video playback (I play DVDs on my computers, which sort
> > of double as TVs right now). A plus for the Dell is that it has S-video
> > and composite video inputs, so I can hook up a standard DVD player
> > directly to it.
> >
> > I've been using my iMac G4, which has a 17" widescreen LCD to watch DVDs
> > and the quality is exceptional. I realize the Dell is larger.
> >
> > The reports I read said the Dell was pretty good, but not at all good at
> > video playback (ghosting, flare, etc.). The ViewSonic was marginally
> > better at this. BenQ FP2091 was supposed to be quite good but a bit more
> > expensive.
> >
> > If you're using any of these monitors, I'd like to hear from you.
> >
> > robert
>
> I picked up a 2005FPW a couple weeks ago and am totally satisfied. So
> far I've watched a couple movies (Garden State & Hitch) on it, and they
> looked great. Note that the Dell is 16:10 so there are slight
> horizontal widescreen bars on 16:9 movies, but it didn't bother me at

I don't think that would bother me much and I won't be watching movies
on it all that much anyway.

> all. There is an excellent comparison between the Dell 2005FPW and the
> Apple 20" Cinema Display [1] that's worth reading (turns out they both
> use the same LG.Philips panel but Dell has a brighter backlight). In

The Dells are said to be too bright, in fact, which bothers a lot of
people. But I assume (hope) that can be adjusted. I've seen the Apple
displays (I have a 17" widescreen) and they're phenomenal. I don't think
I've seen a better computer display from any manufacturer.

> tried Halo and Star Wars: Battlefront so far, and they're both perfectly
> playable (albeit with very slight streaking) in both Composite and

I won't be playing many games, so that's not a consideration.

> S-Video -- I didn't notice the streaking with the DVD's going through
> DVI. I bought the component adaptor to get HD resolutions on games that

That's good to know.

> support it (Soul Calibur 2 in my case) and so far it works OK, but I
> need to use it more to really judge it. One thing to note is that if
> you plan to use the monitor with a HD receiver (like one from Comcast or

Not something I'm considering.

> monitor for $389+CA tax and am seriously considering picking up another
> the next time I see it below $400.

Where did you see it at that price? That's an amazing price.

robert

In article <fRVJe.74022$FP2.5710@lakeread03>,
"Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote:

> I have the 2005FPW. Can you tell me where I can find the info on the
> "slightly different models"? I love this monitor! I waited years to

The Dell Web site. One is about $50 more.

RobertB. wrote:

> In article <raUJe.2774$zr1.2574@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
> Nicholas Andrade <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I picked up a 2005FPW a couple weeks ago and am totally satisfied. So
>>far I've watched a couple movies (Garden State & Hitch) on it, and they
>>looked great. Note that the Dell is 16:10 so there are slight
>>horizontal widescreen bars on 16:9 movies, but it didn't bother me at
>

> I don't think that would bother me much and I won't be watching movies
> on it all that much anyway.

If it doesn't bother you on a 4:3 TV, then it won't even phase you with
the 2005FPW.

>>all. There is an excellent comparison between the Dell 2005FPW and the
>>Apple 20" Cinema Display [1] that's worth reading (turns out they both
>>use the same LG.Philips panel but Dell has a brighter backlight). In
>

> The Dells are said to be too bright, in fact, which bothers a lot of
> people. But I assume (hope) that can be adjusted. I've seen the Apple
> displays (I have a 17" widescreen) and they're phenomenal. I don't think
> I've seen a better computer display from any manufacturer.
>

>>tried Halo and Star Wars: Battlefront so far, and they're both perfectly
>>playable (albeit with very slight streaking) in both Composite and
>

> I won't be playing many games, so that's not a consideration.
>

>>S-Video -- I didn't notice the streaking with the DVD's going through
>>DVI. I bought the component adaptor to get HD resolutions on games that
>

> That's good to know.

Although you won't be using an XBox (guessing by your previous
statement); I'm inclined to think that the X2VGA may be a better option
for XBox users.

>>support it (Soul Calibur 2 in my case) and so far it works OK, but I
>>need to use it more to really judge it. One thing to note is that if
>>you plan to use the monitor with a HD receiver (like one from Comcast or
>

> Not something I'm considering.
>

>>monitor for $389+CA tax and am seriously considering picking up another
>>the next time I see it below $400.
>

> Where did you see it at that price? That's an amazing price.

slickdeals.net (it actually went for less for a few hours a couple days
later, but any price sub-400 is more than worth it).

In article <rsfKe.2489$Z87.1836@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
Nicholas Andrade <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Where did you see it at that price? That's an amazing price.
> >
> slickdeals.net (it actually went for less for a few hours a couple days
> later, but any price sub-400 is more than worth it).

Thanks for the info.
r.