Dell 5000 sound defect?

The DELL DImension 5000 desktop comes with SoundMAX integrated audio.
It is supposed to deliver 5.1 sound, but what I found is that there is
no separation between the center and subwoofer. I've tried many
things, including the Dell tech helpdesk. There they literally blew
me off and told me to live with it.

Does anyone else have this problem with center/sub being one and the
same channel?

Two questions;

1. Are the speakers 5.1 certified? By that, I mean not just the existence
of 5 separate speakers; are they capable of delivering true 5.1?

2. Is the audio source 5.1, and if so, is it formatted in a compatible SS
that your onboard audio is capable of decoding?

Bobby

"Harry den Dekker" <portland@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> The DELL DImension 5000 desktop comes with SoundMAX integrated audio.
> It is supposed to deliver 5.1 sound, but what I found is that there is
> no separation between the center and subwoofer. I've tried many
> things, including the Dell tech helpdesk. There they literally blew
> me off and told me to live with it.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem with center/sub being one and the
> same channel?

I am using a test signal from Microsoft, which is true 5.1. Also I
have used Adobe Audition's multichannel encoder to pan signals to the
different channels.

No, the speakers are not "certified". What would that mean anyway? I
use six separate speakers. While testing I also plugged in the
regular desktop speakers in the center/sub output. That ought to work
also, no? But I consistently hear the center or sub signal being fed
to both center and subwoofer outputs.

It is my understanding that a 5.1 system should be capable of
delivering 6 separate channels of audio, meaning that when I pan any
track in Adobe Audition to the LFE output (the subwoofer) it should
come out just as clearly as when it is sent to the front-left or the
center speaker. All that under the assumption that I use identical
speakers for all the outputs.

I hope somebody can help me understand this.

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message news:<421392b7$1_1@127.0.0.1>...
> Two questions;
>
> 1. Are the speakers 5.1 certified? By that, I mean not just the existence
> of 5 separate speakers; are they capable of delivering true 5.1?
>
> 2. Is the audio source 5.1, and if so, is it formatted in a compatible SS
> that your onboard audio is capable of decoding?
>
> Bobby
>

> "Harry den Dekker" <portland@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> > The DELL DImension 5000 desktop comes with SoundMAX integrated audio.
> > It is supposed to deliver 5.1 sound, but what I found is that there is
> > no separation between the center and subwoofer. I've tried many
> > things, including the Dell tech helpdesk. There they literally blew
> > me off and told me to live with it.
> >
> > Does anyone else have this problem with center/sub being one and the
> > same channel?

Your source may be 5.1, but some cheaper speakers will mix the sub or the
rears thus defeating the encoding in the signal. The packaging of the
speakers will indicate true 5.1 compatibility. As far as encoding, there
are many...THX, SRS, etc. Your card may not properly decode the encoding ,
thus causing the phenomenon you are describing. I, too, am hoping someone
can shed more light on this...

>I am using a test signal from Microsoft, which is true 5.1. Also I
> have used Adobe Audition's multichannel encoder to pan signals to the
> different channels.
>
> No, the speakers are not "certified". What would that mean anyway? I
> use six separate speakers. While testing I also plugged in the
> regular desktop speakers in the center/sub output. That ought to work
> also, no? But I consistently hear the center or sub signal being fed
> to both center and subwoofer outputs.
>
> It is my understanding that a 5.1 system should be capable of
> delivering 6 separate channels of audio, meaning that when I pan any
> track in Adobe Audition to the LFE output (the subwoofer) it should
> come out just as clearly as when it is sent to the front-left or the
> center speaker. All that under the assumption that I use identical
> speakers for all the outputs.
>
> I hope somebody can help me understand this.
>
> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
>> Two questions;
>>
>> 1. Are the speakers 5.1 certified? By that, I mean not just the
>> existence
>> of 5 separate speakers; are they capable of delivering true 5.1?
>>
>> 2. Is the audio source 5.1, and if so, is it formatted in a compatible
>> SS
>> that your onboard audio is capable of decoding?
>>
>> Bobby
>>

>> "Harry den Dekker" <portland@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> > The DELL DImension 5000 desktop comes with SoundMAX integrated audio.
>> > It is supposed to deliver 5.1 sound, but what I found is that there is
>> > no separation between the center and subwoofer. I've tried many
>> > things, including the Dell tech helpdesk. There they literally blew
>> > me off and told me to live with it.
>> >
>> > Does anyone else have this problem with center/sub being one and the
>> > same channel?

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>> Newsgroups
>> =----

It's not the speakers, Bobby. I am not using surround speakers. I am
just measuring the output, using an oscilloscope and regular stereo
desktop speakers, and a headset. The point is that what comes out of
the little hole in the back of my pc where the miniature stereo jack
goes, is the same for both channels that are output there.

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message news:<4214747e$1_1@127.0.0.1>...
> Your source may be 5.1, but some cheaper speakers will mix the sub or the
> rears thus defeating the encoding in the signal. The packaging of the
> speakers will indicate true 5.1 compatibility. As far as encoding, there
> are many...THX, SRS, etc. Your card may not properly decode the encoding ,
> thus causing the phenomenon you are describing. I, too, am hoping someone
> can shed more light on this...
>
> Bobby
>
> "Harry den Dekker" <portland@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> >I am using a test signal from Microsoft, which is true 5.1. Also I
> > have used Adobe Audition's multichannel encoder to pan signals to the
> > different channels.
> >
> > No, the speakers are not "certified". What would that mean anyway? I
> > use six separate speakers. While testing I also plugged in the
> > regular desktop speakers in the center/sub output. That ought to work
> > also, no? But I consistently hear the center or sub signal being fed
> > to both center and subwoofer outputs.
> >
> > It is my understanding that a 5.1 system should be capable of
> > delivering 6 separate channels of audio, meaning that when I pan any
> > track in Adobe Audition to the LFE output (the subwoofer) it should
> > come out just as clearly as when it is sent to the front-left or the
> > center speaker. All that under the assumption that I use identical
> > speakers for all the outputs.
> >
> > I hope somebody can help me understand this.
> >
> > "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> >> Two questions;
> >>
> >> 1. Are the speakers 5.1 certified? By that, I mean not just the
> >> existence
> >> of 5 separate speakers; are they capable of delivering true 5.1?
> >>
> >> 2. Is the audio source 5.1, and if so, is it formatted in a compatible
> >> SS
> >> that your onboard audio is capable of decoding?
> >>
> >> Bobby
> >>

> >> "Harry den Dekker" <portland@zonnet.nl> wrote in message

> >> News==----
> >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
> >> Newsgroups
> >> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
> >> =----

Did you make a real Dolby Digital 5.1 or similar stream or just Prologic? I remember having a
soundcard on my desktop which had only four outputs center and subwoofer were on one channel.
You should first check your digital output- is it delivering the right effects on the right
channels? Then you will try one of the dolby digital trailers in your pc to see if it is sounding
correct. Then we'll see ...

I used the testfile from the article in this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/Multichannel.aspx
and I play it through the MS Media Player.

And again, if I direct Adobe Audition's Multichannel Encoder to send a
track to the center speaker (and ONLY the center speaker), it comes
out through the subwoofer channel also.

Can you try this testfile on your system and see if center and
subwoofer are truly and completely separated?