Dell Axing Windows XP Shipments This Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
XP was a good old OS, but it's time to move on. Microsoft and Dell are helping to push the tech industry along with this decision. Windows 7 FTW!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Wow, I didn't know Microsoft could tell OEMs what it can and can't ship, software wise. Isn't that what got them into trouble in the 90's? I would think Microsoft's only legal course of action would be to stop selling Windows XP to the OEMs in the first place.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Windows 8 comes out in 2012...

Yeah, OS should be upgraded every 2-3 years to prevent stagnation.

One of the things that SUCKED about the Amiga, is that its 1.3OS is pretty much required for many games (Productivity software didn't suffer from this stupidity) - so many Amigas from 1987~1992 came with OLD OS. Yeah, when commodore died, their product line ACTUALLY had 3 different OS installed! 1.3, 2.0~2.2 and 3.0! WTF?!
So my Amiga, auto-booted to 3.0, but I de-grade to 1.3 for games. :(

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Great news. This should help spur better driver support for Windows 7. If they still sell XP (till the end of the month), are they still selling Vista?

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
My Top MS windows OS:

1) XP
2) 98 OSR2

While looking pretty good so far.. hopefully Win 7 will end up finishing with as much love as XP and 98 OSR2 had.

By the way, I agree that it is a good idea to upgrade the OS every several years (even in the business/cooperate setting)... as long as there is an OS which worth for the upgrade.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Great news. This should help spur better driver support for Windows 7. If they still sell XP (till the end of the month), are they still selling Vista?[/citation]
yes, Vista is still for sale.

I wish there was a greater push to Win7 64bit so we can get mega drivers for it. Frequently machines have more then 4 gigs of ram....

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]hopefully Win 7 will end up finishing with as much love as XP and 98 OSR2 had.[/citation]
I think Win7 is well on its way to become the most loved OS ever.

I havnt met anyone who likes XP more then 7 yet...

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]I think Win7 is well on its way to become the most loved OS ever.I havnt met anyone who likes XP more then 7 yet...[/citation]

I know plenty of people who dont like win 7, but when i asked them why they cant give me a real answer other than its different (and therefore impossible to use or learn). so I think a better assumption is that any computer literate individual likes windows 7 over windows XP.

photog10

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I haven't met anyone who likes XP more then 7 yet...

Pleased to meet you. I guess I'll be the first, although I highly doubt i'm the first. I tried W7RC and didn't like it one bit. Everything seems to be hidden. And it wasn't smoother than XP. Plus XP has support till 2014, so If I can hold off till W8 I's rather do that and jump there instead of going W7. I would like to get an SSD in the PC i'm not jumping to W7 because of that.

QX9650
4GB 8500 KINGSTON hyperx
evga 9800gx2
evga 780iftw

IMO W7 was a quick reflex from MS because they lost so much money on Vista. They had to recoup their lost profits. Anyways hands down, XP is still the most used OS in the world use. I'm hoping W8 delivers on 2 things. better utilization of SSD (no, W7 doesn't do this perfectly. Look at all the configurations one must do to get it working right. Also look in the mfr's forums of peoples complaints) and better startup times.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
You know in my country, some people won't "upgrade" or should I say change their pc until it is completely DEAD. I still see some of my customers using Pentium III 450MHz which i used like 10 years ago and that is one of the hinders for software upgrades...
I skipped Vista and used 7 and never looked back, I love my 7.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]yes, Vista is still for sale.I wish there was a greater push to Win7 64bit so we can get mega drivers for it. Frequently machines have more then 4 gigs of ram....[/citation]
My mom bought a laptop from Costco the other day and it came with Windows 7 Home Prem 64-bit installed. So I think that 64-bit is the default version being sold now. Give it another year or 2 and 64-bit should be in the majority of systems. Then we won't have to worry about the same problem until 18exabytes of memory is reached (assuming no other reasons present themselves).

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]My Top MS windows OS:1) XP2) 98 OSR2While looking pretty good so far.. hopefully Win 7 will end up finishing with as much love as XP and 98 OSR2 had. By the way, I agree that it is a good idea to upgrade the OS every several years (even in the business/cooperate setting)... as long as there is an OS which worth for the upgrade.[/citation]

You got a detail wrong: Windows 98 didn't have an OSR2 version; that was Windows 95; Windows 98 had the SE - Second Edition - version.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
So the sale of XP stops on October 22nd 2010, but support for it continues until April 2014. This is just the beginning of the end

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I still think it will be a looong time before XP will be completely dead.

Microsoft only about a year ago(maybe two), stopped supporting Windows 98 completely, really.

The fact of the matter is, corporations usually are a couple OSs behind the latest and greatest because it's not cost effective, and their current programs they are using might not work on the latest OS.

I for one am still using XP to this day. It gets the job done and where I need to go and it runs like it is supposed to. I don't have the money to upgrade to Windows 7 right now, and took Vista off my laptop because it was eating about 30% of the performance of the laptop.

Don't pirate OSs people. A legal copy of your OS is worth it's weight in gold. Know this from first hand experience.

photog10

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]I still think it will be a looong time before XP will be completely dead. Microsoft only about a year ago(maybe two), stopped supporting Windows 98 completely, really.The fact of the matter is, corporations usually are a couple OSs behind the latest and greatest because it's not cost effective, and their current programs they are using might not work on the latest OS.I for one am still using XP to this day. It gets the job done and where I need to go and it runs like it is supposed to. I don't have the money to upgrade to Windows 7 right now, and took Vista off my laptop because it was eating about 30% of the performance of the laptop.Don't pirate OSs people. A legal copy of your OS is worth it's weight in gold. Know this from first hand experience.[/citation]

well said bravo

Teen Geek

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]yes, Vista is still for sale.I wish there was a greater push to Win7 64bit so we can get mega drivers for it. Frequently machines have more then 4 gigs of ram....[/citation]
over half of windows 7 sales are 64-bit Operating Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS