Dell Criticizes Netbooks, Praises Windows 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at a technology complex associated with a major US university. The students who work at the complex have quite a few of those smaller notebooks and netbooks. The big problem as I see it is eye strain but then I am a senior citizen.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]They could have increased the resolution on 10" netbooks to 1280x720 or similar, without causing too much eyestrain to the user.[/citation]

Quite a few of the 10" and 11" netbooks are starting to come with a 1366x768 display. I've forced myself to hold off on purchasing a netbook until 1366x768 was more of a standard netbook option. I'm still holding off though, until after the holidays, hoping to find either a great deal or to see how the netbooks running Win7 are performing.

bigalfantasy2004

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Dell doesn't like netbooks because they can't make as much money off them as a high powered notebook. Netbooks are the fastest growing segment in portable computer sales and if "a fair amount of customers" have been unsatisfied, then why do a fair amount of people continue to buy them. They are here to stay.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]Eccentric909[/nom]Quite a few of the 10" and 11" netbooks are starting to come with a 1366x768 display. I've forced myself to hold off on purchasing a netbook until 1366x768 was more of a standard netbook option. I'm still holding off though, until after the holidays, hoping to find either a great deal or to see how the netbooks running Win7 are performing.[/citation]

The moment you are talking about 11" or larger screens and 1366x768 resolutions you are talking about ultra portable notebooks.

The only "netbook" aspect about them is that they are typically sorely underpowered compared to a "normal" ultraportable. But in theory you'll get better battery life out of it though this is not always the case.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I don't get why people have such a problem with netbooks. Clearly the issue is with them, not the device. If you purchase a device with a smaller screen and lower powered hardware... Why the heck should you think it's going to be the same as using a notebook? They're not, nor are they for, the same thing.

I am quite happy with my netbook. Well, sort of. I have one of the EeePC 900s, so an upgrade to one of the AMD or newer Atom ones would definitely be nice. :p

hellario

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]doomhammr[/nom]Michael Dell needs to realize that Netbooks aren't full size notbook replacements.[/citation]

Except that they kind of are. Of all people I know who own more than one PC, none have a combination of a full-sized laptop AND a netbook. It's either two laptops, a desktop and a laptop, or a desktop and a netbook.

dstrauss

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
Mr. Dell, and his counterpart Mr. Cook (at Apple) are BOTH wrong. The Dell Mini 9 was built like a tank, and with 2gb ram and a decent (32-64gb) SSD can run circles around my 2007 Lenovo x61s. What they are really complaining about is the thin margins on the low end...Apple won't go there; Dell is already stuck there; and no amount of crying is going to make Adamo competitive in the high end that Apple has staked out. Mr. Dell was not just making a factual comment - it was more the sneering laugh of Steve Ballmer on the Today show in January 2007 laughing off the ridiculous iPhone "$500 fully subsidized...and it doesn't appeal to business because it doesn't even have a keyboard" - who's laughing now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5oGaZIKYvo). Intel, Dell, and the others have let the netbook Genie out of the bottle and now they don't know how to put him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.