Dell Inspirion 1318 CPU Upgrade problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

renepos

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Hello everyone,

I have purchased Dell Inspirion 1318 for some diagnostic software I have.

Laptop came originally with a Intel Celeron Processor 560 (1M Cache, 2.13 GHz, 533 MHz FSB), and it has Mobile Intel 965GM chipset and is on the latest BIOS update.

I have two processors laying around with which I tough to upgrade the laptop

One processor is Intel Core2Duo T9300, and a second one is Intel Core2Duo T6600. Both processors have been tested in another laptop, and are working fine.

My problem is the following:
When I put the T6600 in, the laptop powers on and shuts off immediately without even powering on the screen. On the other hand when I put T9300 in, the laptop powers on and hangs on Dell logo. In the case of T9300 the processor heats up very fast and very hot, but the laptop does not power on the fan (which works normally when Celeron is in)
In all cases of CPU change I have cleaned the surfaces of processor and the heatsink and changed the thermal paste.
in both cases i have placed Celeron processor back and the laptop works fine, so nothing got damaged or burnt.
According to the chipset specification, both T6600 and T9300 are supported, and should work fine.

Any help or advice would be welcome.

zheyizhu

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
When you install the T9300 in, are you able to access the BIOS or are you just stuck on the Dell splash screen?

If you're just stuck on the Dell splash screen, there are two fixes that might work to fix that.

1) Remove the battery and hold down the power button for 10 seconds to discharge of any static electricity. Re-insert the battery and power on the computer.

2) Leave the computer hanging on the Dell splash screen and watch for any movements in the progress bar. If the progress bar is moving, leave the computer running. If the progress bar is not moving, shut it down and try again. I would do this at least 3 times before moving on.

If none of those methods work, there might be two causes for why your computer is not accepting the new chips.
1) The FSB for the original chip is rated at 533 MHz while the FSB for the two Core 2 Duos is rated at 800 MHz. The OEM motherboard might just not be compatible with chips that has a FSB of 800 MHz.
2) The original chip has a power rating of 31W while the Core 2 Duos are rated at 35W. The OEM system might just not have enough power to power the two more powerful chips even though it is just 4W more.

renepos

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
When t9300 is in, I am unable to access BIOS, the laptop hangs on Dell splash screen. Removing the battery and discharging static does not have any effect. I have even tried to remove BIOS battery for a few minutes but to no avail.
In my research online i have came across many cases where people have successfully upgraded the same laptop with 800 MHz processors.
Is it possible that the T7xxx or T8xxx would work, even though they have very similar specifications to the T9300 and T6600?

zheyizhu

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/29821/Intel-82GM965-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller#@product/compatible-products/compatible-Processors

According to this ark intel webpage, the T9300 is supposed to be compatible with your chipset.

Did the T9300 work in another system before?

Status
Not open for further replies.