Question Dell Laptitude 3520 + Anker USB C Hub, PowerExpand 8-in-1 USB C Adapter,100W Power Delivery = 50w, need 60w error at startup.

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
Hi,

Hoping someone can tell me if this error is a false positive or not, I have received my works laptop which comes with a 65w DC charger with USB-C connector. The laptop only comes with one HDMI and I wanted to have two, so grabbed myself the above Anker USB-C adapter.

When I start up the laptop without the dock I receive no error message, but with the dock I get something along the lines of ' 50w, the laptop needs 60w to boot'. This suggested to me that the Anker dock is using up some of the 65w before passing through to the laptop and it's not getting the full amount.

However on the start up page where it displays this error, there is a run diagnostic section right below which includes checking Power related hardware, settings etc.. and I get zero errors even when ' Thorough check ' is enabled.

I would have imagined the Laptop would have been power starved when running these tests and threw up the same warning as on the initial page?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
Results from the Dell on board diagnostic tool - Thorough checks. Passed tests.

Batter:
Primary battery:

Charge cycles 140
Temp 27c
voltage 16686mV
Current 0mA
remaining capacity : 2.829Ah
Full capacity: 2.898ah
Relative charge 98%
health Excellent

Charger:

Charger state : installed.