dkrause

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop and i just cannot figure out why i cannot connect wirelessly to my gateway/router. I can connect at school wireless with it. My ps3 and wife's computer are hooked up wirelessly to the same router. This Dell even shows the router in the system, tray connection utility at full strength, but for the life of me i get the "unable to connect" to it every time i try. I am using the right WEP key (have tried like a 100 times). The gateway router is the Actiontec GT 704-WG DSL gateway. I have even tried to update the drivers.

I am using XP Pro for the OS
My Router is set to accept all clients
I have followed the troubleshooting ideas the connection utility gave
I tried the connection wizard without luck
I have tried to connect the computer to the router via cable and it didn't fix it.
i don't have any problems with this laptop and router when connected wired if it matters.

Manual Diagnostics Tool stops at association test failed- i have no idea what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

G

You say that you have tried to connect by cable and this didn't fix it. You then say you have no problem connected wired.

I'm confused !

Suggest you try connecting wired and if that works try turning off wireless security temporarily.

If that works have another look at setting for wireless security and passphrase.

Incidentally, there's no good reason for using WEP if WPA is available.

dkrause

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
You say that you have tried to connect by cable and this didn't fix it. You then say you have no problem connected wired.

I'm confused !

Suggest you try connecting wired and if that works try turning off wireless security temporarily.

If that works have another look at setting for wireless security and passphrase.

Incidentally, there's no good reason for using WEP if WPA is available.

I have tried connecting the laptop to the router with a usb cable and run the connection wizard and didn't get it to work- seeing if it would configure. I can connect with a ethernet cable and use the internet. Sorry for the confusion of those two.

And the wireless to the laptop works without WEP enabled. Any ideas how to get it to work with security enabled? Just try to enable WEP or WPA again and see if works maybe?

Update- I got it to work with WEP now. Thank You very much for your help.

G

Hi I have exactly the same issues - what is going on did you find an answer?

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Had this problem with a Linksys wireless router some time ago.
Would not connect with WEP, but WPA worked fine.
Had to replace the router because we had devices that were
WEP only.
Is your router capable of WPA?

G

i have also the exact same problem that i can not get myself connected by wireless, it was working fine a couple of hours ago but now although the network is on the list my laptop can not detect the full-strentgh network. I read the topics and i noticed that nobody has a solution. driver is updated, all enabled. But nothing happens, there is nobody who knows a solution?