[SOLVED] Dell Latitude E7240 plugged in, not charging (intermittently)

Dec 25, 2019
Hi everyone,

I've bought this second hand Latitude e7240 with touchscreen display a couple of weeks ago. When I first plugged it in, looked like it was charging, however when the battery reached about 70% it stopped. It says "not charging", then it charges for a few seconds and it stops, and then again and again, but most of the time it does not charge. A few points: the battery doesn't discharge while plugged it, the health of the battery is excellent (what it says in bios at least), however the battery life is very very low. Also the charger is recognised as 65W if I remember right, the laptop functions plugged in without battery so the power flows well inside (I believe). I have replaced the power jack as per instructions of another user in a different discussions that I've found, still nothing, but the power jack was taken from another faulty laptop so not very sure it that's the problem. Any of you know what it might be? Please ask if you need more info, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Happy holidays!

Mirko

Solution
If the AC adapter is running your laptop, than there is nothing wrong with the jack. Everything points to a bad battery, regardless if some utility says it's good. BTW, anytime you buy a used laptop, you should count on having to get a new battery.
Dec 25, 2019
If the AC adapter is running your laptop, than there is nothing wrong with the jack. Everything points to a bad battery, regardless if some utility says it's good. BTW, anytime you buy a used laptop, you should could on having to get a new battery.
Yes it was indeed the battery, I've fitted a new one and looks like it's working now. However, I had other laptops with faulty/bad batteries in the past, never behaved like this one though, that's why I thought the problem was something else but I'm glad it wasn't. Thank you for your help