[SOLVED] dell m6400 heating issue

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
i have a dell m6400 p8400, it is having heating issue. I've got it serviced and applied thermal paste by my self. on my normal usage like youtube or some browsing, i reach max temp 61c and when i turn on fan speed to max then they come back to 36-40c. on auto settings it reaches 50+ itself, my fans are cleaned everything is pretty well. what could be the issue? i've also tried linux so os is not the issue. im currently on Windows 10, the linux i tried was bodhi linux.

Solution
Not surprising that you wouldn't see anything, but they're still easy to screw up.

Top-left and bottom-right pins, push them in at the same time. Both should produce an audible CLICK.
Top-right and bottom-left pins, same deal. They have to CLICK.

Something else that does happen with those pins is that they do wear out after repeated installs, and do not sit in as well as they once did.

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
I see, but it's still not a problem.

Unless...
Is it the top-down stock cooler with the push pins? Those are rather tricky to install correctly.
yup it is top-down stock with the push pins... and what i know is i correctly installed it. no gape or any issue at all i can see..

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not surprising that you wouldn't see anything, but they're still easy to screw up.

Top-left and bottom-right pins, push them in at the same time. Both should produce an audible CLICK.
Top-right and bottom-left pins, same deal. They have to CLICK.

Something else that does happen with those pins is that they do wear out after repeated installs, and do not sit in as well as they once did.

Solution