Dell Shows Off $349 Touch-Based Laptop; $379 With Haswell

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
seems like a very good price for a laptop with touchscreen even though its only 11.6 inches. definitely a better value than a surface tablet imo. just need to know the specs of the AMD version. Its definitely not going to be one of the good APUs, would the performance and energy consumption of the haswell be enough to justify the extra $30? well just have to wait for more info.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... touchscreen for a standard laptop is stupid... when is convertible in to tablet, maybe, but a standard laptop with touch is plain stupid... the smudges in the screen? Awful!!! did a exorcism of WinH8 on a Acer Ulteabook with touchscreen... the touch is a bit fun at first... specially with Paint, but after that... to have this just for angry birds or cut the rope, to show of... c'mon?!...

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Really? I found it quite natural to reach up and hit the screen often. I dont own one right now but I've used them a good amount. Is it necessary? Goodness no. Can it be useful for certain people? Yeah but I dont think everyone will use it like I do

talkischeapc9

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
Everyone complaining about size and a touch screen are pointless blah blah.. this particular piece of equipment isn't targeted for you. It's a netbook killer in the service/business world that requires things like usb and networking interface on a small cheap device. This is a business piece of equipment for service type workers which make up a much larger share of sales than you ever will. I for one cannot wait.. i've already forwarded this article to my companies buyer.

talkischeapc9

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
Everyone complaining about size and a touch screen are pointless blah blah.. this particular piece of equipment isn't targeted for you. It's a netbook killer in the service/business world that requires things like usb and networking interface on a small cheap device. This is a business piece of equipment for service type workers which make up a much larger share of sales than you ever will. I for one cannot wait.. i've already forwarded this article to my companies buyer.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Touch screens on laptops are actually not bad once you get used to it. It's like operating a tablet with a kickstand. At the very least it's great for pinch zooming, and when you're using it on the go, you might not have the mouse in your hands at all times... the large touchscreen beats the crap out of the tiny touchpad.

G

i have played with one, and its very sexy. Has a rubbery feel, 2 HD and 1 solid state, and runs super fast. The model I toyed with had 16GB ram, and runs Win 8 like its a child's toy. USB 3.0 and had almost a TB of storage space. The monitor is super clear and I kept for getting that it was touch and when I would point stuff out and touch the monitor it would move. It also flips and closes to be almost like a tablet.
I didn't like the touch pad, due to the surrounding rubber coating is seems to make touch a weird thing, but I have big hands and no touch pad usually feels right to me.
The screen even though a bunch of people touched it, was still nice and clear, unlike Dells XPS tablets. Responded better also.
This model was heavier than most computers and you have a bigger power supply to charge it so the little old school ones will not work on it.
Overall I want it. I played a game and opened 10 tabs in IE and 7 or 8 applications and it didn't even blink at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.