Question Dell Vostro 430 Graphics Upgrade

Nov 23, 2020
Hi there I was wondering if someone could advise on a part upgrade. I am currently using a dell vostro 430, so it's an older machine (2009) but which has been perfect for my needs to date which is making music using ableton and some graphic design, nothing major so no gaming or anything like that. Only problem I have with it is that it is currently running Windows 7. I recently tried to upgrade to windows 10 as none of the new music plugins coming out support windows 7. After updating bios, drivers etc I upgraded to windows 10 but the graphics were awful, really blocky like they were straight out of a zx spectrum so I put it back to windows 7 for the time being where there are no such issues.

I presume that I need to update my graphics card but I'm not 100% sure what I should be ordering. Since I bought the computer I have upgraded the memory and installed a 500gb SSD. Everything else is original. Current computer specs are Intel Core i7 860, 2.8 ghz, 16gb ram, 64 bit. Monitor is a Benq G2420 and the display adapter is the original NVIDIA GeForce310. I was wondering if someone could recommend what I would likely need to be able to get sharp graphics with Windows 10. Preferably it would need to be under £100 as over that it's getting into the territory where it might be more sensible to replace the machine with a more recent one but if needs be I might be able to squeeze a little more.

Cheers John Hutchison

Nov 23, 2020
Ps as far as I'm aware the power supply is the original that it was shipped with which is a 350w. having looked at the specs the graphics card installed now is a replacement for the one it was shipped with and not the original. Also as far as I'm aware I have the most up-to-date driver that I could locate for the NVIDIA GeForce310