Dell XPS 420 Mobo and other stuff

Zushi142

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Hi guys.

I got the desktop about 8 months ago. It runs fine even after using a new graphic card, a Geforce 9600 GT/512Mb, but have been having some problems with it..
Since the weather is kinda warm here, I was thinking of adding extra PC fans, but there wasnt enough space in the casing; so I was thinking of taking out the parts including the motherboard and power supply unit.

Will the motherboard fit in other types of casings? Like those computer casing people use when they make their own computers.

And since this next question is kinda related to the motherboard as well I will just ask it here: Is there a limit for power supply unit's power for motherboards? Like, will it burn out or explode or something when you use a power supply unit with more power than the stock power supply unit? Because I remember reading somewhere that it will.. My current one is a 425W power supply unit, I'm also thinking of buying a new power supply unit for future new parts.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
1. MB will fit in other cases. Almost any case that fits ATX MB also fits mATX also. Case Mfg.'s specify ATX/mATX compatibility.

2. Simply. The MB is not limited to the 'stock' PSU. The MB has voltage regulation 'built in' in to distribute power within the unit. A 700w PSU is not going to cause the MB to 'explode' because it replaces a 425w unit. As long as the PSU is installed correctly.
1. MB will fit in other cases. Almost any case that fits ATX MB also fits mATX also. Case Mfg.'s specify ATX/mATX compatibility.

2. Simply. The MB is not limited to the 'stock' PSU. The MB has voltage regulation 'built in' in to distribute power within the unit. A 700w PSU is not going to cause the MB to 'explode' because it replaces a 425w unit. As long as the PSU is installed correctly.

Solution
1000w would be overkill, but just because the PSU is capable of producing 1000w doesn't mean it will cause the MB to explode like I explained. MB Voltage regulators regulate the power from the power source, 450w or 1000w the power is inheriently regulated by the MB. No go boom.

The amount of wattage a PSU is capable of deploying has no bearing on the PSU's compatibility with a MB. "Wattage' of a PSU does not determine it's compatibility with a Motherboard. Generally a high rated 550w unit with ample 12v power will power a single graphics card. So, your MB is capable of a single GPU and a 1000w PSU is not needed. If you wanted a 650-750w unit to possibly run more efficiently that's an idea. Even a 550w unit with 30amps on the 12v would not run at peak power draw with a single graphics card. 750w-1000w PSU's are for multiple graphics card systems.