Demo of VirtuHammer, 4-Way Athlon, BenchMarks 2way

G

.... AMD announced the first public demo of its VirtuHammer x86-64 simulator powered by an Athlon at LinuxWorld in New York and also Paris on its website.

www.amd.com/news/prodpr/21013.html

.... They also showed 4-way Athlon SMP and dual 4-way Athlon SMP servers running Linux!

.... One guy also reported results from benchmarking running a Linux kernel on a 2-way SMP Athlon 1.2Ghz setup using a TYAN dual Athlon MoBo!!

www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/01/31/2156234

.... Since Quake3 is multi-threaded, the Dual Athlon PC's maybe be able to strip the PIV of its only big benchmark win with Quake3 and at a lower price, to boot!!!

............... -Buzz+

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
whoa, 4 way server?(I'm picturing a rack system) and a workstation? my intel boxes will probably not mind sharing a space with a 4 way "Virtual" workstation.

But it's sooo sad that so many ppl waiting for this are not going to be able to afford it, because I doubt that it will be cheaper than the P4 when it finally comes out.

And my guess is that the P4 is not going to remain single for long.

Also, how did they "Virtually" get to cool the 4 pieces of red hot coal?, that's what I wanna know!

Oh, to be ethralled by new tech is like being addicted to crack...it's that good!

G

I guess you don't earn much as you are so into telling everyone what they can and can't afford. there is a subtle but important difference between affording something and wasting moneyon it...

As for the P4 I hope i doesn't stay single for long, AMD has taken far too long already to produce SMP for the Athlons and it would almost be suicide for Intel to make the same mistake.

oh and I nearly forgot the 4way virtual server ,I am sure it would be no use to anyone other than for testing hammer optimised code....unless they wanted a new central heating system.....

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Agreed about the money issues. Is I keep trying to explain over and over to people, companies have the money to blow on ultra-expensive server chips. Just because I can't afford one myself doesn't mean that it's stupid that it cost so much.

And I do hope to every deity in existance that Intel releases a 'big brother' to the P4 that is virtually identical except in the departments of the PFU and the cache. Then to also release a motherboard to run a dual (or even quad) system using the above improved chip.

Gee, I'd love to see a system like that.

But then the P4 wasn't really intended for server use. So I guess I should be wanting to see an Itanium like that. But I'm just not sure how much I actually trust the Itanium, despite how much I agree with Intel trying to be creative with their chip architecture.

And what's this about Quake3 being multi-threaded? I had thought id left it single-threaded because simply no game really would see a performance advantage to being made multi-threaded when running on a single CPU. Is there any proof that it is actually multi-threaded?

(And will there ever be another version of Quake which allows single-player games?)

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"AMD SHOWCASES FIRST "VIRTUHAMMER" SIMULATOR"

This thing doesnt even exist yet, this is just a simulator.

Its a 32bit CPU that is jacked by software to compile code.

This is a far cry from the real thing due to the fact that its a "canned" application to simulate the real thing.

Kinda like a flight simulator. its not a real airplane and it doesnt leave the ground =)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I know. Heh heh.
Though I would like to see how well an actual production chip performs.

What I don't get though is how people are claiming that the Hammer is running 32bit code twice as fast as a 32bit processor and how Itanium is running it ten times slower.

I mean have we seen production chips (not engineering samples) of either yet? And more importantly, do we really care how either of them runs 32bit code if they're supposed to be for 64bit servers that will be running 64bit code?

I must say that this is all so very nonsensical.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.