Desktop GPU Performance Hierarchy Table (Archive)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvasul

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
This makes no fucking sense.
RX 480 is just as good(if not above) and 1060, there's not 1050 and no 1050ti...
Update

Melvasul

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
This makes no real sense.
Rx 480 is on pair or above the 1060.
No 1050, 1050ti.
The price list is based on Amazon(ref link) where there other stores were you can save up to 100$..
update dudes..

penn919

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
We need to get together and make a revised version of this chart. Too many outdated rankings and outright inaccuracies. Tomshardware will not be bothered to make even minor corrections like Changing the "Radeon Fury Namo" to Radeon R9 Nano.

Maybe we should host the rankings via Google docs or something.

ffleader1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012

Fury Namo must be a special version of Nano from Tom.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the list is maintained by the editors i believe (though may be wrong) many other lists on the site are maintained by users so they get more attention. they do update it, just not as often as folks would like. it's still a decent list to base decisions on. rarely is anything more than a tier away from where it should be. with driver updates and other optimizations it is actually not easy to keep looking back and re-evaluating every single card on the list as quickly as things change.

you'd be surprised how much work can go into something like this without trying to change it daily with every single driver update or new game or whatever that changes overall performance.

feel free to start a list and i'm sure folks will be happy to second guess you at every turn as well. :D and know that any move you make will be treated with hate and accusations of bias no matter what you can back it up with. welcome to the world of tech!!!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No offense, but all those ad links w/prices in the Hierarchy Chart really mess up an otherwise excellent page we've come to enjoy. Too much clutter. Still... I suppose you have to pay the bills.

penn919

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

We're not asking for daily updates. It would be nice to have someone review the chart and address comments once a month though. You don't even need to review updated benches for every card. Simply review the comments, if a commenter has a point, then make the correction. If not, then explain why. I mean for christ sakes, can we at least agree that "Radeon Fury Namo" is a typo? Is it that expensive and/or time-consuming to edit it?The fact that it was reported well over a month ago with no change leaves an impression that this GPU Hiearchy project has been abandoned.

People comment and leave feedback because they DO find it very useful and would like to see it maintained. Tomshardware even saw fit to pin the chart as a shortcut in the top banner of the homepage. If they are still proud of this chart and laud it as a signature feature of this site then make an effort to maintain it. If it is no longer worth at least a quick glance-over once a month then put up a disclaimer advising that the chart is a low-priority project that is bound to contain highly out-of-date rankings and inaccuracies as a result. Readers will immediately understand and look elsewhere for relevant information on the cards their researching. It's that simple.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
As you can see in some of my other posts and downvotes, I normally defend the TH team pretty darn hard. However, I agree with you. I mean, there's still been no reply to my comment way back in August about Doom's Vulkan patch ( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164715/desktop-gpu-performance-hierarchy-table.html#18488042 ) - never mind me asking for more clarification for placing the 1060 above the 480.

Replies from staff members in this thread would be appreciated please.

Yep.

AirEnderman

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Looking for the GTX 1050 Ti SC on the list and can't find it ._. Is my GPU really THAT bad, or was it just not out yet when this chart was made?

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
Can you guys update this list to include the 1050 and 1050ti. I'm curious as to where they stack up. Also, although I do prefer Nvidia over AMD, like some have said, these rankings do appear to be a little on the skewed side. Plus I don't see how the 980ti and the 1070 aren't in the same tier, every review I've seen says they are neck and neck. Thanks

GTX 1070 was specifically designed for DirectX 12 while the 980 ti was designed to simply be compatible. Specific design for new API means HYPE. At least that's my opinion.

I agree. The RX 480 should be in the same tier as the GTX 1060. Just because many games use Nvidia optimization instead of AMD optimization doesn't mean that the RX 480 is any less powerful.

cmi86

Distinguished
1- Where is the Radeon Pro Duo
2- The RX 480 and GTX 1060 trade blows between titles and API's. They are in the same tier almost identically, nice job toms...
3 Why no 1050Ti on here?

cmi86

Distinguished
Ps Toms, stop referencing your reference design garbage throttled stock clocks for the rx 480 against highly OC'd aftermarket 1060's. Idk what world you live in where the 1060 is a whole tier above the rx 480, complete trash. You should be ashamed.

Nicely said. I've wanted to say this for so long, but was afraid of what the mods might do to my account. xD

GoldVillage

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Theres no way that the integrated Intel HD 530 outperforms the GT 730 64-bit ddr5... in fact its about 35% slower than the 64 bit GT 730. Also the Iris 6200 is listed way too high... Intel fanboy running the site?

Nvidia fanboy running the other half of the list?

Where are the proprietary custom cards? I'm not sure whether the R9 295X2 was AMD's idea or XFX's idea, but it made the list. But nowhere on here do I see the PowerColor dual core 290X or 390.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_radeon_290x_295x2_devil13_review,1.html

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/10/19/powercolor_devil_13_dual_core_r9_390_video_card_review/5

Even though the dual core 390 actually ended up performing worse than R9 390 crossfire, I can't say that it wasn't a valid attempt by PowerColor.

Status
Not open for further replies.