Question Desktop keeps randomly restarting

SynaZe

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
Hello everyone,

Since 3 months ago my desktop PC keeps randomly restarting at any given moment.

---------------------------------
Observed Behavior:
Unfortunately there is no pattern to the rebooting, it can happen in any state (idle, gaming, browsing the internet, ...) and at any time, sometimes it takes days for it to happen, sometimes it reboots 5 times within 2 minutes.

In the Event Viewer I can see a Critical error Kernel-Power Event ID 41 Picture

The only pattern I see that it always happen after the information Event ID 125 Picture

Hardware:
  • Operating system: Microsoft Windows 11 Home 10.0.22621 Build 22621
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F @ 2.90 GHz
  • CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper H411R
  • RAM: 16,0 GB Single-Channel DDR4 @ 1063 MHz
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B360M H (U3E1)
  • GPU: 2047 MB Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060
  • HDD: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM008-2UB102
  • SSD: 480GB Crucial CT480BX500SSD1
  • PSU: Corsair TX750M power supply unit 750 W ATX
Attempts to solve:
  • Clean install
  • Memtest86 passed.
  • CHKDSK ok.
  • CHKDSK /f /r ok
  • C drive error checking passed.
  • Full windows updates.
  • Virus checks clear.
  • Updated drivers
  • Successful furmark test
  • Bios updated
  • Replaced PSU
  • Replaced SSD (Earlier SSD gave some errors)
  • Disconnected external hardware one by one
  • Turn off automatic restart function
  • Temperature check on all components but nothing out of the ordinary
I have no idea what else I can try in order to fix the problem. Anyone has any idea what this could be or what to try to get more information?

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Replaced PSU

Which one the TXm is? The old one or the new/replacement one? Also, what was the 2nd PSU?

Anyone has any idea what this could be or what to try to get more information?

IF given the hardware is sound (and it is currently a big IF; since i don't know what the 2nd PSU was), random restarts could be due to the main electricity grid, that has blackouts so short, that you even doesn't realize, but long enough for PC to loose power. An UPS will fix that.

SynaZe

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
Thank you for the reply Aeacus!

Which one the TXm is? The old one or the new/replacement one? Also, what was the 2nd PSU?

This is the the current one PSU: Corsair TX750M power supply unit 750 W ATX, first it was this one Gigabyte B700H.

IF given the hardware is sound (and it is currently a big IF; since i don't know what the 2nd PSU was), random restarts could be due to the main electricity grid, that has blackouts so short, that you even doesn't realize, but long enough for PC to loose power. An UPS will fix that.

It started happening in my old appartement, in the meantime I moved towards my new house (Living here now). I don't know how likely it is that is due to the main electricity grid in both places.

Ralston18

Titan

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
All-in-all, random reboots are usually due to 3 reasons;
  1. CPU/GPU overheats and whole system shuts down.
  2. Poor PSU that isn't capable of keeping PC running.
  3. Electricity grid issues.

#1 is easy to confirm, either read what Ralston18 posted, or download and run HWinfo64, to monitor the temps.
#2 is iffy, since your Gigabyte unit is low quality PSU and it is possible, that it damaged the system (e.g MoBo VRMs), thus, even with PSU replacement, the issue still remains.
#3 is easy fix, just buy CyberPower, TrippLite or APC UPS. About the same wattage range as your PSU is, preferably line-interactive, true/pure sine wave.

UPS is good purchase in any event, since it safeguards your PC from all electrical grid issues (blackouts, brownouts, surges etc) and line-interactive UPS also has AVR in it, to supply clean power to your PSU. IMO, every PC should be backed up by an UPS (two of my PCs are).