Desktop not turning on, Help!

shurikan117

Prominent
May 26, 2017
Hello Everyone!

My problem is as follows, yesterday evening I tried to turn on my desktop. It did not turn on. It was working in the morning however. Its always plugged into a UPS that I don't turn off much.

Now, following the issue, I took off the case and retried my power button. Nothing. Not even the PSU turned on. No beeps or lights, nothing. I ran the old clip test on the 24 PSU pin connector while the remaining 4 pin was connected to the motherboard CPU power slot. PSU successfully turns on and my CPU cooler turns on.

I then tried switching the power switch and reset SW on the motherboard. No dice. I have also tried this with and without RAM unsuccessfully.

Can someone please help me figure this out? Is the motherboard half dead? Or is the issue coming from my PSU? I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

My specs :

MSI B250i pro mini itx
Teamwin 8gb ram
Core i5 6500
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
Cooler Master Elite 130 Case

Solution
Another test similar to what you did. I understand you tested the PSU by disconnecting the 24-pin ATX power input to the mobo and shorting out two holes with a paper clip, and that proved the PSU works at least partially. This next is, if you will, a "Screwdriver test". Reconnect that 24-pin cable so that everything is connected normally, and ensure the exterior power switch on the back of the PSU it turned on. In this condition nothing will start up when you push the front panel power button, right? Well, this will check whether it can start up another way. Look at the mobo bottom right corner (usually) for the Front Panel header. There will be several cables attached there for various front panel functions. One pair of wires (and a...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Another test similar to what you did. I understand you tested the PSU by disconnecting the 24-pin ATX power input to the mobo and shorting out two holes with a paper clip, and that proved the PSU works at least partially. This next is, if you will, a "Screwdriver test". Reconnect that 24-pin cable so that everything is connected normally, and ensure the exterior power switch on the back of the PSU it turned on. In this condition nothing will start up when you push the front panel power button, right? Well, this will check whether it can start up another way. Look at the mobo bottom right corner (usually) for the Front Panel header. There will be several cables attached there for various front panel functions. One pair of wires (and a single connector, usually) will be marked for PWR SW, Unplug that. Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the two pins that connects to - contact for 1 or 2 seconds is quite sufficient. If everything is working OK, your system will start up immediately. If it does that, then your problem is only a faulty front power pushbutton. If that's the case, we can recommend a couple of solutions.

Post back here with results - inquiring minds want to know.

Solution