Desktop picture but that's it

I'm at a complete loss. On start-up, I can log in and get to the desktop,
but once there, that's all I see -- just a nice picture of my lab. Nothing
along the bottom, no icons, nothing. I tried to open in Safe Mode, Safe Mode
with Networking, and Safe Mode with Command Prompts. I get to the same spot
with the second safe mode configuration, but with the first and third,
windows won't accept my password to even get past the login. I can't do a
System Restore because I can't to anything on the desktop. When I get to the
desktop, I get nada when I right click. It's like it's just dead at that
point. Can someone help me???

1) No icons even? Does Ctrl-Alt-Del bring up task manager?
2) If you have one, press the wavy window key between Ctrl & Alt, to see
if it brings up start. ( maybe task bar is minimized ).

"darcy" wrote:

> I'm at a complete loss. On start-up, I can log in and get to the desktop,
> but once there, that's all I see -- just a nice picture of my lab. Nothing
> along the bottom, no icons, nothing. I tried to open in Safe Mode, Safe Mode
> with Networking, and Safe Mode with Command Prompts. I get to the same spot
> with the second safe mode configuration, but with the first and third,
> windows won't accept my password to even get past the login. I can't do a
> System Restore because I can't to anything on the desktop. When I get to the
> desktop, I get nada when I right click. It's like it's just dead at that
> point. Can someone help me???

I just tried the Ctrl-Alt-Del and I can bring up the task manager. But what
do I do with it? Is there something there that would help?

Wavy key did nothing.

"Will" wrote:

> 1) No icons even? Does Ctrl-Alt-Del bring up task manager?
> 2) If you have one, press the wavy window key between Ctrl & Alt, to see
> if it brings up start. ( maybe task bar is minimized ).
>
> "darcy" wrote:
>
> > I'm at a complete loss. On start-up, I can log in and get to the desktop,
> > but once there, that's all I see -- just a nice picture of my lab. Nothing
> > along the bottom, no icons, nothing. I tried to open in Safe Mode, Safe Mode
> > with Networking, and Safe Mode with Command Prompts. I get to the same spot
> > with the second safe mode configuration, but with the first and third,
> > windows won't accept my password to even get past the login. I can't do a
> > System Restore because I can't to anything on the desktop. When I get to the
> > desktop, I get nada when I right click. It's like it's just dead at that
> > point. Can someone help me???

In article <5E5C13BF-2F22-4845-BBE5-F48AC0309C15@microsoft.com>, darcy
says...
> I'm at a complete loss. On start-up, I can log in and get to the desktop,
> but once there, that's all I see -- just a nice picture of my lab. Nothing
> along the bottom, no icons, nothing. I tried to open in Safe Mode, Safe Mode
> with Networking, and Safe Mode with Command Prompts. I get to the same spot
> with the second safe mode configuration, but with the first and third,
> windows won't accept my password to even get past the login. I can't do a
> System Restore because I can't to anything on the desktop. When I get to the
> desktop, I get nada when I right click. It's like it's just dead at that
> point. Can someone help me???

CTRL ALT Del. When Taskman pops up, select File, new task and type in
explorer.
--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.