Question Desktop USB Hub Recommendation

JoeFig44

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
My PC is in a tough place to access under my desk, so I have two separate USB-A cables coming up from it (each to it's own PC port) through a little drilled hole in the corner of my desk top.

These connect my Logitech keyboard and mouse.

I'd like to know which USB hub could I use to connect one of these USB-A cables to to then be able to on my desk top have ability to plug additional cables (including USB-C, etc.) to either connect ot the PC or to just recharge devices from (Macbook Pro, iphone, etc.)

The key I emphasizing here is the upstream connection is USB-A right now. Should I be using the USB-C port instead as the upstream connection and getting a hub that is as such?

JoeFig44

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
Why not get USB extension cables? I tend to steer clear of USB hubs since there are instances where they have been hiccups on a perfectly operating system.

That being said, you could take a look at these;
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-7-Port-Adapter-Charging-iPhone/dp/B014ZQ07NE?ref_=ast_sto_dp
I'm using extensions right now, but I want to be able to charge my macbook pro (usb-c) and my iphone on the desk, plus ideally have a place to plug headphones into.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Tell us the exact mobo you have in your PC (OR the model of PC if it was not built from components). We need to know exactly what type of USB ports it has for you to connect to a Hub. The current USB state has all of the new ports part of the USB 3.2 system, subdivided into three "Generations". Gen1 can transfer data at up to 5 Gb/s, Gen2 up to 10 Gb/s, and Gen2x2 up to 20 Gb/s. Gen1 can work with both the older Type A connectors and the newer Type C ones, BUT the Type A ones MUST be the new USB3 version, and not the older ones for USB2. Type A's are now colour coded: the plastic inserts in them that support the contacts are BLACK for older USB2, and BLUE for newer USB3. USB3.2 Gen2 MAY work at full speed using Type A connectors and cables, but may get to only the 5 Gb/s data rate, whereas they are always supposed to be able to do the 10 Gb/s rate if you use Type C cables. Gen2x2 MUST use Type C cables for any hope of fast speeds.

MANY USB devices, even the basic USB3.2 Gen1 ones, cannot use speeds above 5 Gb/s. However, IF you want to use a HUB with several ports even without any actual USB3.2 Gen2 devices plugged in, then a Gen2 Hub may be a good idea because ALL of those Hub ports must share the one data connection back to the host computer. So IF you computer has a USB3.2 Gen2 Type C port, you may want a Gen2 Hub.

For use with several devices, the Hub should have its own power supply module to ensure that all its ports CAN supply power to devices at the USB3.2 standard spec: 5 VDC at up to 0.9 A per port. In your case, actually MORE power is needed from that module because you intend to use it to CHARGE devices that can take a lot more. For those you would use a Hub's CHARGING port(s). These are Type C ports usually, but are ONLY for changing at high rates - these ports do not have any data transfer ability.

Another idea to consider. You are using your ports now for keyboard and mouse. Doubtless they are older USB2 devices that use minimal power and slow data transfer rates. You could actually use TWO hubs. Get one small simple Hub for USB2, plug your keyboard and mouse into that, and connect it to one of your computer's USB2 ports with an older USB2 Type A cable you already have. IF you plan not to use any more USB2 devices you would not need exta power on this Hub, so one with NO included power supply module might do well here. Get a USB3.2 Gen1 or Gen2 Hub with its own power supply module and connect that to a computer USB3.2 Gen1 or Gen2 Type C port if it has one using a USB3.2 Type C cable. Use this to connect any new devices you have (or get later) AND for charging your other devices. For that you DO need to look carefully at the charging rate specs of the Hub and the power capacity of the charging module that comes with the Hub.

Last edited: