Question Desperately looking for a black screen fix for pc. Ongoing for the past few years and nothing that I’ve tried has fixed it.

Aug 5, 2023
My pc will black screen while gaming and I have tried a variety of ways to fix it from uninstalling/reinstalling my drivers, upgrading my gpu(new 3060) and psu (1000w), and even installing more fans. My current build is…
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zrqzKX . Everytime it black screens, the audio is still on but I have to force close it through task manager. Also, after the black screen the gpu fans turn off. Could a 3rd party usb to Xbox controller be the issue? I would ideally like to not have to buy more parts after just unnecessarily upgrading but can only think it’d be my cpu (ryzen 5 3600) or my motherboard (ASrock b550 phantom).

I haven’t seen it in a while but sometimes when it black screens I get the “DirectX” code.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
can only think it’d be my cpu (ryzen 5 3600) or my motherboard (ASrock b550 phantom).
Why do you think that your issue is hardware only? Why not consider software issue?

I have tried a variety of ways to fix it from uninstalling/reinstalling my drivers

Using DDU? If not, uninstalling/reinstalling GPU drivers without using DDU may not help.

In any event, you have 2 options regarding software;
#1 - Run in Safe Mode.
#2 - Make a clean Win install.

For #1, do note that most games won't work in Safe Mode. So, you need to find one that does. If you have 0 issues in Safe Mode, your Win kernel (for the most part), is solid and issue is with 3rd party software (which is disabled in Safe Mode but not on normal boot).

For #2, you need to format your OS drive and make a clean Win install. This will get rid of all software issues; drivers conflict, bloatware, malware (except rootkits). IF even after clean Win install you have your issues, then you can look towards hardware issue(s).

Also, what SFC /scannow says?

Aug 5, 2023
Why do you think that your issue is hardware only? Why not consider software issue?

Using DDU? If not, uninstalling/reinstalling GPU drivers without using DDU may not help.

In any event, you have 2 options regarding software;
#1 - Run in Safe Mode.
#2 - Make a clean Win install.

For #1, do note that most games won't work in Safe Mode. So, you need to find one that does. If you have 0 issues in Safe Mode, your Win kernel (for the most part), is solid and issue is with 3rd party software (which is disabled in Safe Mode but not on normal boot).

For #2, you need to format your OS drive and make a clean Win install. This will get rid of all software issues; drivers conflict, bloatware, malware (except rootkits). IF even after clean Win install you have your issues, then you can look towards hardware issue(s).

Also, what SFC /scannow says?
When I uninstalled my drivers I did use DDU and freshly installed the most recent driver. Although I built mine, I’m not the smartest with pcs so I just assumed it had to be a hardware issue. Taking your help, I ran the SFC / scannow and it came up that “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at…” I have yet to test if it affected the black screens as they happen randomly but would you still recommend the clean win install?

Aug 5, 2023
When I uninstalled my drivers I did use DDU and freshly installed the most recent driver. Although I built mine, I’m not the smartest with pcs so I just assumed it had to be a hardware issue. Taking your help, I ran the SFC / scannow and it came up that “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at…” I have yet to test if it affected the black screens as they happen randomly but would you still recommend the clean win install?
Update: just black screened again so clean install would probably be the best thing to do next?

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech