Despite DRM-Free Version, Witcher 2 With DRM Most Pirated

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I thought it was obvious that with or without DRM games are still going to be pirated? Some people will never pay for their games when they can get it for free...

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Pirates always try and justify their pirating, fact is, you're stealing and thats it. You bitch and moan about game producers not making games anymore for the PC - well you're the main cause.

Honestly, I would never make a game for PC. You lose WAY too many sales, you lose WAY too much money, then afterwards PC users complain and guess what? Your brought it upon yourselves.

Unfortunately a large majority of "pirates" are still young idiots that don't know any better and continue to try and justify their stupidity.

You have tons of employees spending countless hours working on animations, scripts, action sequences, graphics, etc for years just to make you smile and have a great time and what happens? You steal the fucking thing, play it, then go "cool". I personally believe they EARNED that money.

And don't give me the "If I like it, i'll buy it" BS. That is exactly what I said, BS, you'll like it and beat it then you won't bother forking out the 59.99 because you've already played it.

Always looking for reasons to justify your stealing.

This DRM thing? Psh, I support it. I support Blizzards "always online" methods for Diablo 3 and WoW. It works a lot more than just leaving your game free to pirate.

Pirates want the DRM removed not because "then they'll buy it" but because it makes it easier to pirate.

DRM AGAIN is just another way to justify their damn pirating.

Bunch of damn kids with the logic of even younger kids looking for ways to make stealing a good thing.

I hope one day you spend countless hours working on something only to have it stolen, THEN you'll know how it feels. It feels shitty.

G

i see it like this, pirating is something that most people reading this have done. Over 1/2 of all pc users do it in some way. I do it all the time. There is no way of stopping it. I have 2 3TB full of movies and games that i got of the net or ripped off disks. The fact remains that the only way to stop thing from being pirated is by making them free. Follow BLR's example EA and just go f2p open source for battle field 4. x)

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
People really dont understand what stealing and piracy is. If person A takes person B's ham, its stealing. If person A makes a copy of person B's ham they can both have ham, its not stealing since person B gets to keep his ham.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]I would never make a game for PC. You lose WAY too many sales[/citation]
Another 'Pirates only copy PC games' noob

fudoka711

Distinguished
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]And don't give me the "If I like it, i'll buy it" BS. That is exactly what I said, BS, you'll like it and beat it then you won't bother forking out the 59.99 because you've already played it. Always looking for reasons to justify your stealing.This DRM thing? Psh, I support it.[/citation]

You're right about one thing - if I like a game and end up beating it, I still won't bother forking out 59.99 for it. Do you realize how overpriced that is? Probably not. It's not like each developer's pay has gone up so dramatically in the past few years. So don't use their "salary" as a justification for what you're saying. Will I buy the game once it goes down in price by 10-30 bucks? You betcha. It only takes about a month before the game to go on a 33% sale on steam anyways. I have no problem waiting until then.

But of course there are ALWAYS people who will just get the game the cheapest way possible, which is pirating it for free. There's pretty much no way around that. But that's a really small percentage of all the people who buy/play video games.

Also, I have another bone to pick with your seemingly full support of DRM and bashing "kids". Well guess what, a lot of those people who are actually "kids" probably don't have the money to buy those $59.99 games. But will pirating the game get them hooked on the franchise/brand/series/whatever? Most definitely. Take a second and look at the bigger picture.

PC gamers are not the main cause. PC gamers just happen to have the most developed "pirating marketplace" because its simply been around the longest and, well, best. People pirate xbox games all the time.

I'm not saying its okay to steal. What I am saying is that your logic is very flawed and you don't really know people and why they do what they do.

PS: Psychology 101 - Give a bunch of people something that's great, but also cheap and easy to get and has little or no restrictions. Start adding on more restrictions, rules, regulations, and steadily higher prices, and people will complain, lie, and cheat to get what they want. Especially if it's something they really like. Lesson? Don't give people something so great and then do almost everything you can to make it almost out of their reach. Want a better example of this? - look at a school classroom where all the "kids" are at.

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
“The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.”
― Oscar Wilde

Replace bureaucracy with "publishers" and you get the idea. Games cost so much to make today that they need to suck people dry with cheap-ass tricks like fake DLCs and Elite versions and such. Look how indies are growing fast. Take LoG for example, more will come soon.

I have no respect for the gaming industry as it is today. If I had to side, I'd go with the pirates. It's the lesser of the two evil.

I wonder how much piracy would go down if the games were sold for 20-30$. Hell, if you've been around, you'll know that publishers consider the "Gold editions and such" that come out a year after at half price almost as worst as pirating. How does that make sense?!

Get over it, piracy has always, and will always be there. Today, it's just more mainstream due to high prices of games.

I don't know how old you are, but I remember when the CD replaced the diskettes and publishers SWORE that because it was not possible to copy the media (at first), prices would go down. Guess what? They always had a good excuse not only not to cut down the price because piracy costs soooo much, but to even raise it because of the cost to use the new media.

There's always two sides of a coin, and I prefer the one that doesn't take me for a total idiot, walking wallet that's waiting to be suck dry while feeding me BS after BS.

Peace.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
in response to Sacre. I disagree.

I have bought plenty of games. A large majority of them were crap. There are problems with all of them. GTA4 was a giant disappointment! Know why? Because I saw my VRAM get molested by the poor coding. So I added a 2nd graphics card. The game will no LOAD if a 2nd card is installed on your motherboard. Even disabling Xfire won't allow it to load! You have to physically remove it. Nevermind the fact of the wasted money on the graphics card.

How about trying to run an Eyefinity or Surround setup? Only those with 3 monitors fully understand the countless hours you spend trying to find the right hack, program, .ini edit to get a game to work above 1900x1200!!

The most recent game I've pirated? Skyrim. It doesn't natively support Eyefinity. The FOV and the items are all ridiculously(yes I spelled ridiculous correctly, +1 internet) large. Nevermind the fact that the mouse sensitivity is directly affected by the screen resolution. But now that flawless has finally added Skyrim to their widescreen fixer, with regular updates I am strongly considering buying it. After seeing all the mods that can be downloaded from Steam, all the support from Bethesda for DRM down the road.

The moral of the story is? Game developers need to step it up, and make quality games. The customer is now smart enough to sniff out the dung. And in some cases, there is a mod community capable of making a better game for free.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]Another 'Pirates only copy PC games' noob[/citation]

Think before you speak, there are a LOT more PC games pirated than there are Xbox/PS games.

cmcghee358

Again, No. The game worked fine for many people, may not have had native support but it had a hell of a long and fun game with amazing graphics, etc. So simply because it had that error you feel that you are allowed to steal it? So if a car has a bit of rust on the side, you should have all the rights to steal it?

and fudoka711, it is simple and easy to generalize pirates. They pirate because in the back of their head they know they can get this game within a couple or less hours, for free, as soon as its released, and start playing immediately without worrying about going to the store, buying it with money they can use for w/e else, etc.

Pirates just pirate because its easy. Its easy to steal a game, takes minutes-a few hours to get this game and bam, you saved 60+ bucks and you have a new game.

But pirates look for excuses because they KNOW they are f--king the market and screwing themselves over but having less and less games for the PC. So as a scapegoat they claim things like "DRM" "make it easy" etc.

Game developers aren't stupid. Most pirates are. Xbox/PS games are pirated less often, hence why they are shifting over.

AlderonnX

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Guess I'm the minority since i have never pirated a game of any kind. I also have never had a virus because i stay off torrent sites.. Games are cheap. Get a steam account and wait for sales.

While true I get the feeling no one read the article. yes piracy will happen. the title feels misleading to me. its not about witcher 2 being the most pirated game despite a drm free version. The ENTIRE POINT of this article was there are 2 versions of witcher 2. One that has DRM that has to be pirated and hacked. And one with NO DRM. that could just be pirated and played... this is NOT about people pirating vs buying DRM free. this is about pirates choosing to pirate the drm vs the non drm version. its still pirating either way.

The thing is CD projecks CEO is trying to spin it. he wants to say "there are two versions and pirates are choosing the drm version as a protest against drm" And I love he's taking the drm is bad side and his company acts on it.

But the reality is its still being pirated despite their drm free version. And the majority of pirates are idiots. 15 year old kids with bit torrent and idiots who click on the first torrent link they find. The percent of pirates who actually know how to hack is minuscule, and the percent with morals and the desire to intentionally protest drm is probably smaller. The DRM DVD version just came out first, and is an ISO. It gets a higher torrent seed for being there first. gets more popular, and most pirates are not smart enough to realize there is a drm free version. pirates are lazy. if they knew they'd download it instead

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I read more stories about game piracy statistics than I read about game sales statistics. People pirate stuff -- they've always done this forever. Hell, animals pirate stuff from each other all the time too. How about we focus on the actual sales numbers and paying audience for games? You know, the people who actually fund your games and want to see your company thrive.

I'm not a pirate. Stop telling me that I must accept DRM, changes to a game's design, or other piracy-mitigation strategies. I really don't care how many people pirated Witcher 2 with DRM. I just care whether it is a good game or not. Reading about how pirates flocked to Witcher 2 with DRM while a DRM-free version was available, I have to start thinking that the piracy statistics are bogus and calculated improperly.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]pennanen[/nom]People really don't understand what stealing and piracy is. If person A takes person B's ham, its stealing. If person A makes a copy of person B's ham they can both have ham, its not stealing since person B gets to keep his ham.[/citation]

So how do the butchers and pig farmers fit into all of this. Or the feed growers, abattoir operators and transporters for that matter? Now if enough people "copy" the ham everybody else looses their job, no more fresh ham for anybody. Oversimplification but we are talking about Tom's readers :)

Yep a "copy" isn't hurting person B but is does affect everybody else down the line.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying it's black or white, but it's legally wrong, it's at least morally inappropriate (I'd say wrong but to each their own), and it's economically just silly. Pirate the good games = less sales = less development money for developers who make good products. So go after the few publishers who make good (well, at least not bad) games and what do we have left? Publishers who put out crap and console games (no comment on the crap level). Look around .. we're almost there.

If you can't afford the game, wait till it's on sale (what 2-3 months, by then they've fixed the bugs and add extra content) or don't buy it. If you can't afford it ... save your money or just buy something else. Still want it ... well then either break the law and if you get caught deal with it or suck it up and move on to plan B. It's called being an adult. I'm not sure what parents are teaching their kids today but logic, morals, work ethic or common sense seems to be low on the list.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
[citation][nom]pennanen[/nom]People really dont understand what stealing and piracy is. If person A takes person B's ham, its stealing. If person A makes a copy of person B's ham they can both have ham, its not stealing since person B gets to keep his ham.[/citation]
While we can argue back and forth about the definition of what stealing is, piracy definitively harm society and I wish to argue that in a purely economic point of view, not a moral one. If a company invest millions in a R and D and invents something that is very good for society, and other companies can just steal the idea so that the company who made the invention cannot profit, that company would not have invested those millions in the first place and the invention that is beneficial to society would not have been invented. Same with software. Piracy weakens the profitability of making software and thus lowers our investment in that industry with the result of society having less software that could have been potentially useful.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
It works a lot more than just leaving your game free to pirate.
No it doesn't, and that's the problem. DRM is totally ineffective, and has never in any instance stopped piracy. Pirates simply remove the DRM, so the only people who have to deal with it are those who aren't pirates.

DRM exists for one reason and one reason only. To make shareholders happy. It gives the developers something to point to and say "look how we're protecting your investment."

seriously this is about witcher2. cd projekt red. the good guys. the drm sucks, drm free, PC is the main platform, free doc, free new content guys. a small developer

And you all want to whine about the developer and support piracy... you can't with this developer with this game. they are doing it right. you want to complain about what it costs wait for a sale like the rest of us. if you don't support the good guys they dissappear.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]bringmeanother[/nom]While we can argue back and forth about the definition of what stealing is, piracy definitively harm society and I wish to argue that in a purely economic point of view, not a moral one. If a company invest millions in a R and D and invents something that is very good for society, and other companies can just steal the idea so that the company who made the invention cannot profit, that company would not have invested those millions in the first place and the invention that is beneficial to society would not have been invented. Same with software. Piracy weakens the profitability of making software and thus lowers our investment in that industry with the result of society having less software that could have been potentially useful.[/citation]

Well if we look at what crap EA and activision keep publishing, i think it would be better if the markets died a little.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
bigdragon: I agree with 99% of what your saying but ...

[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]Hell, animals pirate stuff from each other all the time too.[/citation]

Please post a video of this. I have never seen a cow pirate intellectual property. Crows are thieves I'll give you that, but that's theft.

But I would really love to see a house cat steal the pet dog's intellectual property ... not being facetious I would really love to see that. Dog figures out way to play with ball for more fun .. cat pirates concept and starts to play with ball. Well that would fit. I just hope it's not an iBall .. then the cat is gonna need a lawyer.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I enjoy their futile attempts to stop people MUCH smarter than them. Seriously - it doesn't even need to be the mass public - you just have to piss off or intrigue someone, and they break your DRM, then proceed to upload it to the masses via torrents.

So please, enlighten me how you're making a single shit bit of difference - and why you're spending so much on a system THAT CANNOT WORK. You literally will not out smart everyone in the world - and seeing how it only takes ONE person to crack a game, then distribute it, I can't help but wonder why they don't just give up.

Make a fun, valuable and polished game. People will buy it. I promise.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
[citation][nom]QEFX[/nom]So how do the butchers and pig farmers fit into all of this. Or the feed growers, abattoir operators and transporters for that matter? Now if enough people "copy" the ham everybody else looses their job, no more fresh ham for anybody. Oversimplification but we are talking about Tom's readers [/citation]
I'm gonna have to disagree with your analogy. If we had a device to make copies of hams we should use it extensively.

You have to understand that piracy is bad NOT because it gives free software to everyone. Free software for everyone is a GOOD thing. What is bad about piracy is if those software really were free, it wouldn't have been written in the first place because nobody would want to invest time and money in something that will be given away for free. Even when you think about freewares and open source, there is something to gain. Teamviewer for example probably use their free version as a marketing tool for their pro version.

In the same spirit, free ham for everyone is a GOOD thing. The problem is nobody is going to invest the time and money to invent a ham replicating machine if he or she cannot somehow profit from his or her invention and thus the device never gets invented and nobody benefits.

As for your argument about jobs, I disagree even more. YES, there will be some farmer that will go out of business and other people that will be out of a job. However, think about back in around 1750 where most people in the world are farmers (80% maybe). Think about today where in a high income country like the US where a tiny portion of people are farmers. Now that is LOTs of jobs we are talking about here. But would you actually forbid all the technological invention that improved farming that happened between 1750 and now so that those people can keep their jobs?

You have to understand that when an industry shrinks and jobs are destroyed, people don't stay unemployed forever. The improve their education and go in an expanding industry. Sure it is painful in the short run, but unless you want the government to assign you job like in a communist country (we all know how that turned out), that kind of pain is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.