Question Determine if a mobo is dead

Feb 5, 2019
I have a hp z400 workstation that turn on but gives me a black screen with no beeps, i tried to remove all rams but still no beeps but when i did removed the cpu it gives me 3 beeps that means no cpu installed.i did replace the cpu with other one but still have the same issue. So i suspect the psu or the mobo.
Btw i did replace the psu with a non compatible one and it gives 4 beeps that means a power failure.
So the mobo detect a bad psu and detect no cpu installed but why she didn't gives beeps when RAM is not installed.
So is it a bad mobo or a bad psu.
Sorry for my bad english and plz help me to solve this problem.
Specs
HP z400
6gb of ram
475 watt psu
Quadro 2000
Xeon w3565
I need help soon as possible.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oh wow - you've taken a lot of steps here that were absolutely not necessary. I am assuming you reinstalled the cooling unit on the CPU when you tried to boot?

Quite simply:
Do you have integrated graphics? If so:
What happens when you run with MB, PSU. CPU, CPU Cooler, and 1 stick of RAM?

Feb 5, 2019
I
Oh wow - you've taken a lot of steps here that were absolutely not necessary. I am assuming you reinstalled the cooling unit on the CPU when you tried to boot?

Quite simply:
Do you have integrated graphics? If so:
What happens when you run with MB, PSU. CPU, CPU Cooler, and 1 stick of RAM?
I don't have integrated graphics.
I did tried with other gpu (GTX 1050 ti) but still have the same issue.
About ram i tested all of the slots one by one but no result.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
But was this with everything still together?
I literally mean remove EVERYTHING - leaving only the MB, PSU, CPU, CPU Cooler, and RAM. You will likely encounter a VGA error. Then try with the GPU in.
But I do mean - literally disconnect everything else.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019
There's no insult here. Recent GPUs can be difficult to get working with pre-UEFI motherboards. This is especially true for recent Nvidia GPUs.
Z400 have a lga 1366 who can upgrade the CPU to a Xeon x5690(6 cores and 12 thrades) that work perfect with the 1080 ti and beter than i7 7700k try to do some researchs on z400 with Xeon w3690 or x5690 and plz lets focus in the main problem here.
I really need you all to help me find a solution.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Z400 have a lga 1366 who can upgrade the CPU to a Xeon x5690(6 cores and 12 thrades) that work perfect with the 1080 ti and beter than i7 7700k try to do some researchs on z400 with Xeon w3690 or x5690 and plz lets focus in the main problem here.
I really need you all to help me find a solution.

You do realize that we're volunteers trying to help you out and not your employees to boss around, don't you?

Nothing gets me unwatching a thread faster.

Feb 5, 2019
You do realize that we're volunteers trying to help you out and not your employees to boss around, don't you?

Im not the one who tries to talk outside the subject.
any help from you will be a waste of time because If you have any help you will already provide one.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Im not the one who tries to talk outside the subject.
any help from you will be a waste of time because If you have any help you will already provide one.
Well done, you've just turned a community of volunteers against you.

When people are ultimately trying to help, don't throw it in their faces.

I appreciate you're stressed because you are having computer issues, but we are ultimately just trying to help, so being rude isn't going to help your cause.

Feb 5, 2019
Well done, you've just turned a community of volunteers against you.

When people are ultimately trying to help, don't throw it in their faces.

I appreciate you're stressed because you are having computer issues, but we are ultimately just trying to help, so being rude isn't going to help your cause.
Im sorry but they keep changing the subject every time.
i'm sorry to all of you.