Question dGPU disconnecting frequently with alt-tabbing on games & with certain games on Msiafterburner - Related to missing screws?

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
I made a post in the past about some concerns with having 2 missing screws from the central area of my laptop:
Question - Acer Nitro 5 Back Lid - Is it ok to have 2 screws missing? | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

I assumed it's fine since the other screws are fastened and do not necessarily hold down any components, they just fasten the lid to the back of the laptop.

When playing Destiny 2 and alt-tabbing, I have to keep the game at a lower resolution in windowed mode since the game runs better for me like that if I'm multi-tasking. If I do this at sporadic moments, I get the broccoli error code and my dGPU disconnects rendering it unusable until I restart my laptop.

Same goes with playing Amnesia: Rebirth but with Msiafterburner on, it will freeze up, crash, and render the dGPU unusable until a restart.

Is this a normal thing for dGPU's if you alt-tab a lot, or might there be something wrong physically with my dGPU? Does this relate to the screws being missing or not?

I have clean installed my drivers from the Nvidia official website many times so I don't see how it could be my drivers.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When you state clean install, how did you uninstall your GPU drivers to begin with? As for installation, was that done manually in an elevated command? Might want to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. Lastly, what OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS.

For the sake of relevance, the two screws you seem to be asking about in your thread with this gallery;
bXRqiYh.jpeg

The left missing screw covers the drive/storage area, the one towards it's right is a support/tether for the underbody and the keyboard. They aren't related to the GPU.
maxresdefault.jpg

^ for reference.

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
When you state clean install, how did you uninstall your GPU drivers to begin with? As for installation, was that done manually in an elevated command? Might want to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. Lastly, what OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS.
Clean install option comes from the nvidia driver installation options, I'm on Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044. or 21H2.

I didn't use anything like BIOS or DDU since I heard nvidia users don't really need those options.