Diablo 3: Auction House Does Cash, More

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beschutzer

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Well this is an interesting pickle we have here, isn't it?

First let us look at the in-game auction house feature. Blizzard's so-called justification for this feature is to "stamp it down", or in other words take control of the system. Their asserted reasons for doing so seem to revolve around the notion that they're looking out for the customer, which may be partly true, but most likely generally false.

Let us ask ourselves; what's to stop third-party gold/item farmers from providing these "services" outside of your control, in much the same manner it is in Diablo 2, currently. What leads you to believe they're not just going to circumvent your auction house entirely and avoid having to pay any fees? If I were a gold farmer, the last thing I would want is to share a piece of the action, so my incentive would be to not use your "control system" to procure as much profit for my time spent as possible. Whether they implement this system or not, these farmers are going to do it their way.

With that having been illustrated, let us now ask ourselves if Blizzard hadn't already thought about this possible and most likely inevitable outcome? I'd say it would be naive to think that they haven't. So what can we conclude from such a bold move by Blizzard to add such a feature? It's obvious that this is a cash-grab, and nothing more.

They obviously know people are going to sell in-game items, and they want a piece of the action, otherwise there wouldn't be any fees attached. And let's be honest with ourselves, why should there be a fee in the first place? It's an automated system that requires no effort on their behalf.

So here we have Blizzard. They create the game. People sell the items that Blizzard creates using real currency, to which Blizzard takes a piece. Are you starting to get the picture here? They're basically making money out of thin air, much like the US government does. So as long as this game exists, they will take a "backseat" cut from every virtual transaction ever generated through this in-game auction house system, with absolutely no effort on their part, but YOUR effort in fact. You essentially become a virtual employee of Blizzard Entertainment. And all Blizzard has to do to increase their profit margins is to introduce some new, rare and unique items (that take minutes to create) and they can continue to sit back and reap rewards, as long as people are willing to bend over for this deplorable business model.

The incorporated fee attachment for transactions isn't for any sort of server upkeep either, seeing as Diablo 3 will be using the same Battlenet 2.0 system that SC2 runs on, and there's no fee tied to SC2. So any justification for such a notion is completely out of the question.

Secondly, let the player choose if they want to play offline, or online. It's disgusting to think what would come of future games if people allow this to happen. Next you'll be told how to play the game, and what time you can play the game, etc. There are no bounds if corporations get their way, people. Believe that.

Lastly, I love the old Blizzard games. I own every single one to date. But this move is just beyond acceptable, and is clearly subtle corporate takeover disguised as customer service/protection, much like old DRM that were more like viruses than anything else. They only care about their bottom line and if you remove their bottom line then they'll actually start to listen. There are too many spineless cowards in the world who will take any amount of abuse so long as they get their entertainment. I will not be one of them if this system is implemented.

pomop

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
To be honest, I agree. I mean, just hop on Open Bnet. Everyone and their mother hacks. People with + 39848483249043290 stats, etc. No pirating is good because,, well, it's illegal. I hope they eventually make it so you can play without an internet connection, but for now It'll work.
So no offline mode, no bots and no mods. Is there any good news
Is the writer of this article really suggesting no bots is a bad thing? Fuck you writer, fuck you.

The auction house using real life money. For those who want it, awesome. For those like me who'll never use it, I don't care It doesn't affect me the slightest. There are many online websites where you cn buy diablo items for real money. All this is doing for Blizzard is basically shutting down those third party websites. (That are gold farmers, FYI)

No mods? And? In my time of searching, I've only found like 6 mods. All of which sucked. Why is this even an issue?

G

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really looking forward to playing D3. The implementation of a real money auction house was unavoidable and will definitely be integrated in most other games in the future.

G

Thank you tom for the clarification of what is what. So many of my friends have been up in arms but do not seem to have any clear answers to what is actually happening.

G

the reason they added no offline play and mods is simple. 1. it would ruin pvp 2. people could use mods, and use hacks offline making people not need the auction house and blizzard would not get as much money. the funny thing is that the auction house ruins by pvp more than mods and offline hacks would.

dpastern

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
What a can of worms this is.

1) not all DSL connections are cheap. Maybe in the US, or Europe, but not everywhere.

2) not all DSL connections are stable - this is usually due to the underlying infrastructure (copper pair/pstn). Many wholesalers will not spend a lot of money on fixing infrastructure issues.

PS I work in the IT industry as a tech.

3) No LAN mode? Fine, that's your choice/right Blizzard. My choice is not to buy your game, and not to recommend it, or any other Blizzard game until you recognise that your customers, the consumers, have rights. If you respect us so little, don't expect my business. Always online, DRM fill games are basically accusing me of doing dubious, illegal activities, and I am personally offended by this. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

These companies have become far too big for their boots, and the only way they'll listen is when they have a SIGNIFICANT drop in income levels. If you don't like it, boycott the game, and trash it to friends and family. That's what I plan to do. Go on Blizzard, sue me for defamation! Try it.

D2 sucked. Far too big, game play was destroyed imho. The rarity of runes (zod rune anyone?) was idiotic. What, 3 billion to 1 to find a Zod rune? Please.

Diablo was great imho, all we need is a similar game to this, but improved graphics, more races, more monsters, and perhaps 4 times the size. Add a simple option for non DRM online multiplayer at the player/owner's choice and voila.

For those that are happy with always online/DRM filled games, that's fine. We respect your choice to play them. But, how about respecting our choice to not play them, or request non DRM/always live game content? I mean, we buy games too, we use our money to pay for games too.

Please done assume that just because I want LAN mode for D3 that I'm into ppirating games/software/movies/music etc. I'm not. I find it offensive that some in this thread have inferred that.

Dave

G

For anyone wanting to make diablo 3 a career, im starting a new facebook page to discuss monetizing techniques. Its going to a place to talk about item worth, market place value, grind technique. etc. If your interested join the page "How to make money with Diablo 3" Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.