Did Apple Just Kill Safari for Windows?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]It started happening like a month ago. Before that I never had Flash crash even once and I thought everybody who complained about Flash was just parroting Steve Jobs with his hatred of Adobe. Then suddenly after an update (of Firefox, Flash or both) it started crashing and still does even on a clean install. I have automatic updates for both Firefox and Flash enabled, so it's the latest versions too.[/citation]

Flash crashes on its own without even opening up a browser on 2 of my computers.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]sephmeister[/nom]People actually use Safari on Windows? I always assumed they accidentally installed it with Itunes...[/citation]
that's pretty much the only way it gets on a windows PC, ipod software installation and iphone software installation.
the only person i saw use it was my brother until i showed him chrome and firefox with adblocker, he hasn't touched it since.

moonsite

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
I think I've experienced a Flash-crash once in Firefox a long time ago. I haven't experience a crash since. I always update both to the latest version. Could it have something to do with the video card/driver as well? I've been using the onboard AMD Radeon 4200 and also the Geforce fX 580 workstation card.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Since Firefox fixed their memory leak, they've been very good with memory, but Firefox's UI is still very laggy at times.
Chrome's UI is less laggy, but has huge issues with memory because of the multi-process tabs.

Some people forget that a browser called Opera exists, which provides the best of both worlds (no UI lag and manageable memory)

[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]Since Firefox fixed their memory leak, they've been very good with memory, but Firefox's UI is still very laggy at times.Chrome's UI is less laggy, but has huge issues with memory because of the multi-process tabs.Some people forget that a browser called Opera exists, which provides the best of both worlds (no UI lag and manageable memory)[/citation]

Opera uses a ton of memory too, at least it does in Tom's and my own tests with it. I have yet to try the latest version, so maybe that's changed in the last few months, but still. Even if it doesn't have memory problems, there are still other trade-offs to consider.

G

The site you referred to, www.rapidcolor.com, appears fine in this browser. What fixes did you apply for cross platform functionality?

Status
Not open for further replies.