Did Apple Just Kill Safari for Windows?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]I often read about Flash crashing in FF, but it never happens to me. Are there some sort of circumstances that cause it?[/citation]

It started happening like a month ago. Before that I never had Flash crash even once and I thought everybody who complained about Flash was just parroting Steve Jobs with his hatred of Adobe. Then suddenly after an update (of Firefox, Flash or both) it started crashing and still does even on a clean install. I have automatic updates for both Firefox and Flash enabled, so it's the latest versions too.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]I often read about Flash crashing in FF, but it never happens to me. Are there some sort of circumstances that cause it?[/citation]

It started happening like a month ago. Before that I never had Flash crash even once and I thought everybody who complained about Flash was just parroting Steve Jobs with his hatred of Adobe. Then suddenly after an update (of Firefox, Flash or both) it started crashing and still does even on a clean install. I have automatic updates for both Firefox and Flash enabled, so it's the latest versions too.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Chrome is far heavier than FF, at least it is right now. Whether or not it is faster for some things doesn't change the fact that it uses far more RAM and uses more and more as the tab count increases, especially with Flash-ridden sites.[/citation]

Yet firefox is alot more prone to freezing/crashes and general unstability IME.

oneblackened

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]ok....who cares about how much memory it uses when most computers come with at least 4 gb of ram[/citation]
I don't know, someone who has 30 tabs open? That's running close to a gig of RAM and that's without running flash or any addons running.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
No Safari for Windows?! OHH THE HUMANITY

Said no one ever. It sucked on Windows. 6 looks decent on mac though, pretty Chrome-like.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Safari is terrible. I didn't even use it when I had a Mac. I can't imagine people intentionally installing it, except maybe for Mac users... although even then when I had one I used Firefox, which I still use and consider to be the best browser

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I've got a pretty stout pc and all Apple products run like crap on it, slow, stuttering, just like I was trying to run Windows 7 on a 350mhz cpu with 128mb of ram.
Apple software on pcs acts more like viruses then actual software, it tries to instal a bunch of junk you don't need, freezes stuff up and tries to take over everything every time any of it opens.
I swear to god I've got a perfectly good iPod touch I boxed just because I can't stand the Apple software you need to run it with on your pc.
Now my cousin is an Apple nut, nothing but Macs and iPhones, and his setup works just fine. It's a little bit restrictive for my tastes but hey it works well for him.
I almost feel like Apple makes their Windows software run so poorly that once you've experienced it on a Mac you'll think it's MS's fault and want to shell out 2x - 5x the cash to Apple you'd pay for the equivalent pc.
But hey, not trying to hate on Apple, just wanted to make the point their software is buggy and near unusable on pc, so Safari being dropped, well, its A OK in my books.

cornandbeans

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]ok....who cares about how much memory it uses when most computers come with at least 4 gb of ram[/citation]
I have a desktop with 16GB and an old netbook with 1GB of RAM. I use FF on them for the great addons (I have 40 addons installed).

Actually, I have had much more crashes and glitches from Chrome browsers than Firefox browsers, especially with Flash and WebGL games. I use both Palemoon (a Firefox derivative) and Dragon (a Chromium derivative) nonetheless, but my experiences between them can differ widely. Dragon can mroe easily switch through tabs, especially when one does crash (rare on both browsers), but it uses so much more memory and it has more crashes than Palemoon. They've both been improving, especially in the last few months, but w/e.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I tried Safari once. Uninstalled it about 10 mins after using it.
:D
As for Chrome using large amounts of RAM... I agree its usage is a bit large... but its still faster than FF.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
i would rather assume that most MAC don't install an alternate browser since the one they have currently works, much like it was with windows and IE6

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Adobe Flash 11.3.xxx rapes FF almost literally.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]Remember that Windows and Mac has a very different UI system.[/citation]
Not really very different. After all, they both use windows... :p

oneblackened

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Time to upgrade that Pentium II, dude! Get yourself a nice new CPU with 4-8Gb of RAM![/citation]
Core i7 with 8GB of RAM, dude. I used a C2D with 2GB for a long time though.

[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Probably due to Windows 8 and MS probably has mad it too difficult or not worth Apple time to support the NAS/FED co-authored Swiss Cheese OS known as Windows.[/citation]

Completely wrong. Windows 8's only real issue is Metro, something that you don't actually even need to use, unlike what the far over-exaggerated hype would have you believe. The desktop shell for Windows 8 still works just fine. Apple is probably just deciding to stop putting money into making a web browser on a platform where it is hardly used. They might even want to see if they can get the few Windows users who use Safari to switch to Macs.

[citation][nom]srap[/nom]Adobe Flash 11.3.xxx rapes FF almost literally.[/citation]

That might be it then. I don't have fully updated Flash (I'd have to check what version I have to know for sure), so maybe my using an older version is what makes me not experience many crashing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.