Question DID GSYNC DAMAGE MY DISPLAY?

emailadress2018

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Hello!
I am posting for the first time in the Displays category.
Relevant PC components:
AOC G2460V, 24' 1080p\75hz- Freesync 1ms response time
Nvidia GTX 1070
I do also have another Asus 1080p Monitor (from a 3-monitor surround setup I had until 1 year ago) but 90% of the time I do not use it..(its turned off from Power button, allthough Windows in Display Options can still ''see'' it).But I think this is irrelevant.

I am experiencing a strange issue.. You all know Nvidia unlocked Gsync for all Freesync monitors.. So I installed new driver and activated the Gsync option in the Nvidia Control Panel - and turned off the Fast Sync Vsync Option that I had used for the last 2 years- and it worked (amazingly, considering that my Monitor is not one of the recommended \ doesn't theoretically fully support Gsync). Then a few days ago, I read by random chance that (I didnt know that) even Gsync increases input lag! So I decide to try and see how unbearable the screen tearing would be.. (In Bf3, Bf4 and Bf1 I constantly get over 120fps on ultra settings with this GPU). I deactivate the Gsync setting in Nvidia Control panel (the monitor quicky turns on and off a few times -like when updating gpu drivers) and leave Vsync also off and restart PC. The ''Problem'' is that in every game I test I get NO screen tearing at all!! How can this be? I know how screen tearing looks like because I have seen it years ago before I discovered Fast sync (i never wanted to use the ''normal'' vsync). The FPS shows full 100-120 fps ,so its not being capped at monitors refresh rate, but neither was it when using Gsync.. so I cant know if Gsync is still on or not. I don't perceive any input lag difference compared to before.. (maybe 75hz is the limiting factor here). DID I ''BREAK'' SOMETHING IN THE CIRCUITRY IN MY MONITOR BY USING GSYNC OPTION ON THIS ''UNSUPPORTED'' MONITOR?
Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

emailadress2018

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
You didn't break anything.
If it works, then it is not broken.

I tend to believe the driver when it says "G-Sync is off".
so why no screen tearing when neither gsync or vsync are on? I mean I am not complaining.. 0 input lag (no sync whatsoever) AND no screen tearing at same time is everyones dream..but this isn't normally possible..especially with a 150€ monitor like mine. Thats why I ask.

Last edited: