Question Did I accidentally corrupt my SSD?

May 29, 2023
So this all started when my Google Chrome stopped responding, then my entire Windows stopped responding too.
I gave it about 5 minutes, but nothing was happening so I decided to shut off my computer.
When I booted it back up, it went straight to BIOS, which is then where I saw that the BIOS showed my SSD, but it said it has 0gb of storage ?

Windows is installed on my SSD, so I've been locked out of Windows with no way to check on the state of my SSD.
After googling and what not it seems I may have corrupted my SSD, but I'm really hoping not.

I've tried unplugging the SSD and plugging it back in but that hasn't worked and I'm also having problems downloading Windows via USB

Can anyone help out?

SSD: M.2 WD Green 480GB
HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming B360M-E Gaming
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 1070
CPU: Intel i5-8400 2.80ghz
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz

Update:
Unfortunately after a bunch of troubleshooting and digging I'm pretty sure its gone and died on me. Welp I probably shouldn't've shut down whilst it wasn't responding lol

Last edited:
May 29, 2023
Try disconnecting the 2 TB Seagate Drive.

Then reboot again. Both directly and then Safe Mode.

Failing that, install a new CMOS battery as a matter of elimination.
Unplugging hard drive didn't work and still unable to boot to safe mode due to no Windows.

Don't mean to doubt you, but will a new CMOS battery fix the SSD being read as 0gb? Sorry, I'm just trying to avoid buying and replacing parts just for the problem to persist - But if so, I guess I can give it a shot.

Ralston18

Titan
The CMOS battery will not "fix" a failed or faulty drive.

And the drive reading 0 GB is not good.....

However, the battery is needed to preserve system and hardware settings that are necessary for the system to sucessfully reboot.

FYI:

https://www.howtogeek.com/805136/what-is-cmos/

You can easily find other similar links.

Batteries are readily available and inexpensive.

If some setting is being lost or corrupted due to a weak battery then there is nothing to lose by installing a CMOS fresh battery.

As opposed to buying a new drive or paying for data recovery.

Unless you have backups from which to recover.

Reactions: GroovyDoobs