[SOLVED] Did I fry my CPU?

TomatoThomas

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Hello everyone. Bad news.

I recently installed a new M.2 drive which meant I had to rearrange my other drives, and my SATA power plugs. I must have accidentally left my CPU cooler unplugged.
My PC idled for 4 hours before I came home and noticed the fans were not on, so I shut it down immediately and turned the fans on by plugging them in.
Now it will not boot. I waited overnight to try again but it still does not boot.
It goes into this cycle where everything powers up for a full second, then shuts off. Then 3 seconds later it tried again, then shuts off. It would do this cycle forever if I didn’t unplug it.

Is there anything left I can do?

EDIT:

Forgot the part list! Sorry!

i7 8700k
H100i Pro
MSI B360 Gaming Arctic
Corsair LPX 16GB 2x8
GTX 970

Last edited:
Solution
Clear CMOS (You might need to take out your GPU)
Try to boot the PC without GPU & M.2 drive.
Are u hearing any beeps? Does your motherboard have a speaker?
theres some things to consider, assuming your cpu is sort of recent, and since your motherboard can accept m2 drives, then its likely that it is, it should have a thermal protection feature, if the temps went up to the shutdown threshold, then your cpu would shutdown to prevent damage, now assuming it didnt, it was still running passively, as in, being kept by the heatsink alone, which is doable specially if on idle

if you turn on a cpu without any cooling solution, it will shut itself down almost immediatelly by said thermal protection, so this all could suggest that your cpu is still alive and the problem may be something else. which also leads to the question, whats your cpu anyways?

in any case, unplug everything possible, leave just the processor, one ram and a gpu to see if it will not shutdown, also, prior to that, reset the bios by removing the battery and waiting a whole minute

other than that, ive only theories, like, an intel chip should shut itself down at 105c or something like that, but its certainly not good at all to be running 4 hours straight at 104c, but then we dont know if that was the case.

TomatoThomas

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
theres some things to consider, assuming your cpu is sort of recent, and since your motherboard can accept m2 drives, then its likely that it is, it should have a thermal protection feature, if the temps went up to the shutdown threshold, then your cpu would shutdown to prevent damage, now assuming it didnt, it was still running passively, as in, being kept by the heatsink alone, which is doable specially if on idle

if you turn on a cpu without any cooling solution, it will shut itself down almost immediatelly by said thermal protection, so this all could suggest that your cpu is still alive and the problem may be something else. which also leads to the question, whats your cpu anyways?

in any case, unplug everything possible, leave just the processor, one ram and a gpu to see if it will not shutdown, also, prior to that, reset the bios by removing the battery and waiting a whole minute

other than that, ive only theories, like, an intel chip should shut itself down at 105c or something like that, but its certainly not good at all to be running 4 hours straight at 104c, but then we dont know if that was the case.

I just updated my post with parts list, sorry.
Right now I am taking out RAM and trying to boot with one stick and only the basics. I left it overnight to cool off but it still does not boot which is what really worries me.

I just updated my post with parts list, sorry.
Right now I am taking out RAM and trying to boot with one stick and only the basics. I left it overnight to cool off but it still does not boot which is what really worries me.

wait, your cooling solution is an WC? then it didnt fried, a aio wc solution is even better because the water inside would make the passive cooling even more efficient than just the heatsink of fan cooling solutions, that assuming the pump is on, but then, even if the pump was unplugged, then basically you just simulated a pump failure condition which is something that happens here and there and the usually nobody gets a dead chip out of it, just high temp readings, in fact it could even keep at average use without shutting down, although not on ideal temps.

the problem is most certainly somewhere else, most certainly...

crackz

Commendable
Feb 27, 2018
Clear CMOS (You might need to take out your GPU)
Try to boot the PC without GPU & M.2 drive.
Are u hearing any beeps? Does your motherboard have a speaker?

Solution

TomatoThomas

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Here is what I did! I cleared the CMOS and unplugged RAM, then booted with it and it went! Working like brand new. So there must have been an error code on the CMOS or RAM preventing me from booting. Thank you guys for the help!