Question DID I JUST BURN MY MOBO? LOL

Sep 9, 2019
Please help me out. my desktop had a problem on the front panel b/c it's a stupid touch button that doesn't work now, it's an older hand me down, so I wanted to still use it while I don't get a new case for it... I looked up on Google how to turn it on by putting the power cables connected to the motherboard together, and I tried that but I think I got the wrong cables because it just made a super loud noise and then I smelled something burning (not a stroke)... Did I just destroy my new pc ?

Well... the signs aren't good. Can you figure out what component the burning smell is coming from?

Also, as a side note, all you would have had to do is find where the power switch plugged into the motherboard and touch the two pins the cable is connected to together with a key or screwdriver or something for a moment. You could have even just bought a switch to use and run it out the side of the case or something... or used your reset switch if you had one.

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Motherboard...MAYBE, but more-than-likely you burned out the PSU. Disconnect everything and test the PSU first. BTW, Google is not ALL KNOWING, b/c the people that post stuff their aren't! Actually, I need a clarification here...WHAT, EXACTLY do you mean by ''power cables''? 24-pin from PSU to MoBo, or the thin ''control wires'' from the case to the MoBo pin header? If your power switch be toast, then you can just bypass it at the switch end by removing it; or, in a pinch, use the RESET BUTTON header as the power switch, or just replace the switch with one (that works) from an old case!! (Might not be pretty, but it functions!)

Sep 9, 2019
I can't identify where the smell is coming from it I just found out the two cables I did a short circuit on aren't event connected to the front panel controls, it's connected to the power source...So ducking stupid...

Sep 9, 2019
Oh, so I probably just burned the power source... I hope the whole thing isn't screwed, how am I supposed to test this? The reset button doesn't work also, so that's why I was trying to turn it on that way, I think I'm just going to connect the front panel of my brothers pc to test this.... how to do I test the power source by itself?

Sep 9, 2019
I just tested the psu disconnecting it from everything then connecting the 2 black and green cables on the 24pin connector going to the MB an plugging in the power source, it shows no sign of life so I guess I'm going to head out and get a new one... Sigh... What the <mod edit>... Thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator: