[SOLVED] Did my Intel i7 4790K die?

franktntx

Honorable
Dec 10, 2015
Hello community, I have this i7 4790k when I turn on the pc the fans move but then it shuts down. I already tried with a celeron g1840 processor and the pc turns on normally. I have the Asus Q87M-E motherboard. I already tried with two different power supplies. I want to be sure if he already died definitively. It does not beep. I already updated the BIOS

Last edited:
Solution
Beyond voltage (and resultant heat), it's pretty rare that a CPU would 'die'. Given paired with a Q87 board, the voltage consideration is moot.

That being said, if another CPU works fine... and the only 'problem' variable is the 4790K, then it's possible.
You'd need another motherboard to verify the 4790K is working, IMO.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Beyond voltage (and resultant heat), it's pretty rare that a CPU would 'die'. Given paired with a Q87 board, the voltage consideration is moot.

That being said, if another CPU works fine... and the only 'problem' variable is the 4790K, then it's possible.
You'd need another motherboard to verify the 4790K is working, IMO.

Solution
Never, never, never run a CPU without a heatsink/fan.

CPUs/motherboards do have built in protections but it may not have been able to cut the power quick enough to avoid permanent damage. IOW, if it wasn't already dead before you may have killed it by turning it on without any type of cooling in place.