Question Did my motherboard just die? PC randomly shut off.

Sep 12, 2024
I’m having an issue with my PC that I need help with. It randomly shut off, and I noticed a red light on the motherboard (DRAM, VGA, CPU, BOOT) briefly flashed, but I didn’t catch which one it was before the PC powered down.

Since then, pressing the power button on the case does nothing.

I tested my PSU (C850 NZXT) using the paperclip method and a voltage tester, and both showed the PSU is working. (When using the paperclip, the PSU fan spins.)

I also tried to boot the system by pressing the power button directly on the motherboard, but still, nothing happened.

One thing I did notice is that the display on my AIO cooler pump flickers when I press the power button, but the PSU fan doesn’t start spinning when everything is properly connected. The PSU fan only spins when using the paperclip method, not when connected to the motherboard. However, the flickering AIO display makes me think that some power is getting through(?).

At this point, I’m unsure if the motherboard is faulty or if there’s another issue. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PC components are:

• PSU: NZXT C850
• Graphics Card: Radeon RX 7800 XT
• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
• Motherboard: X670 Aorus Elite AX
• RAM: G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 16GB x2
• Pump: Kraken 360

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I tested my PSU (C850 NZXT) using the paperclip method and a voltage tester, and both showed the PSU is working. (When using the paperclip, the PSU fan spins.)
The paperclip method is a flawed test, it tells you that the PSU is working but ti doesn't tell you how much power the unit can effectively output.

Disconnect the GPU from your build and see if the iGPU yields anything for you.

X670 Aorus Elite AX

Your board has a BIOS flash button on the rear, see if that helps revive the board if the BIOS is what croaked on said board, using the steps outlined in this guide;
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...e_0102.pdf?v=2f21bf977394bafd05e08d27bf8cdc04
page 12.