Question Ryzen 3600 Locked at 0.5 GHz After GPU Swap - Need Help!

Sep 12, 2024
I’m facing a strange issue with my PC. I have a Ryzen 3600 paired with an MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard. It was working perfectly fine until I swapped out my GPU to test a new one. The new GPU worked without any problems, but after switching back to my original GPU, my system started malfunctioning.

The issue is that my CPU is now underclocked and locked at 0.5 GHz. Because of this, the startup is extremely slow, and the PC is almost unusable due to the sluggish performance.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

• Swapping GPUs back and forth
  • Flashing the BIOS (both upgrading and downgrading)
  • Reinstalling Windows
  • Resetting the BIOS
  • Removing the CMOS battery
  • Manually overclocking from the BIOS
Unfortunately, none of these solutions worked. The only thing that temporarily fixes the issue is a weird trick: enabling PROCHOT and manually overclocking via Ryzen Master. However, this solution only lasts until I reboot the system; then, it goes back to 0.5 GHz again.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

System Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3600
CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 LED Turbo
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
Ram: ADATA GAMMIX D30 8GBx2 3000Mhz & Kingston Fury 8GB x2 3000Mhz
SSD/HDD: Kingston KC3000 2TB
GPU: MSI Ventus 3060 8GB
PSU: Corsair VS650
Chassis: Gigabyte C200 Glass
Monitor: Gigabyte 34 inch ultrawide

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

When clearing the CMOS, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then replace the CMOS battery after 30mins. Do this after you've verified that your BIOS was flashed tot he latest version.

Sep 12, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

When clearing the CMOS, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then replace the CMOS battery after 30mins. Do this after you've verified that your BIOS was flashed tot he latest version.
Updated original post.
And Yes I cleared the CMOS exactly this way.