[SOLVED] Did my SSD just die?

podonnell

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2014
I was uninstalling a program and it was stuck at a driver removal step for 5 minutes. I shut down my PC and even that was stuck so I eventually had to press the power button. Since then my PC will not boot at all into Windows 10, even safe mode. It gets stuck indefinitely at the "preparing startup recovery..." as well.

I tried my Win7 OS (different physical SSD) and even THAT won't boot into the OS.

Previously I was able to boot from a CD but when I am trying now I am unable to even do that. It's like the PC is just stopping everything during boot.

What could be going on?

Edit: I just unplugged almost all my USB devices and even disconnected the OS drive that I thought I corrupted from power and data, but the Win7 OS STILL won't boot. So it can't be my drive?

Solution
Well, yes maybe.

I haven't have recent experience with HDD dying in W10, but last time I had experience was a computer running XP back in the time. Turned out that OS would hang and be non-responsive if a non-essensial disk (storage only) was dying.

And so therefore, if W10 reacts the same way, then the problem you experience may actually be a result of a bad hdd.
Well, yes maybe.

I haven't have recent experience with HDD dying in W10, but last time I had experience was a computer running XP back in the time. Turned out that OS would hang and be non-responsive if a non-essensial disk (storage only) was dying.

And so therefore, if W10 reacts the same way, then the problem you experience may actually be a result of a bad hdd.

Solution