[SOLVED] Did Red Dead Redemption 2 destroy my GPU?

Dec 3, 2019
Hi,
I have an old (5-year-old) R9 280x. I started playing RDR2 - the perfomance wasn't too good but I still wanted to try (thinking of buying a new GPU). And suddenly the game froze and I there were some weird lines on the screen. So I restared my computer, stared playing again and the same story. And it repeated like 5 times until some red lines appeared on the booting screen and Windows didn't start up at all. When I switched to the integrated card everything worked. I know the GPU is broken, I put it to another machine - the same red lines.
But the question is - how did it happen? I don't think the game destroyed the card, it's rather impossible, isn't it? I think it must have been damaged/old earlier, right? Or maybe another part of my PC is broken that caused this problem. What I'm trying to avoid is buying RX 5700 xt/RTX 2070 super that will get broken soon because of some another possible reason. Any suggestions? Do you think I'm safe as far as buying a new card is concerned?

Thanks.

My specs:
i7 4790k
MSI R9 280x (Used to be :))
Asrock Z96 Extreme 4
Corsair 650W CS650M

Solution
Sounds like the card was probably dying and a game that was hard to run (RDR2) just pushed it hard and it finally died.

That’s a fairly low quality psu and it is possible for a low quality psu to reduce the life of connected parts. No idea if it was a factor here but I’d definitely get a psu when getting a new gpu.
Sounds like the card was probably dying and a game that was hard to run (RDR2) just pushed it hard and it finally died.

That’s a fairly low quality psu and it is possible for a low quality psu to reduce the life of connected parts. No idea if it was a factor here but I’d definitely get a psu when getting a new gpu.

Solution
Dec 3, 2019

When I was buying this PSU I remember it had good opinions. And I've been using it for over 5 years without any problem. But maybe it got old too and - for safety reasons - it's wise to buy a new one. Thanks.