[SOLVED] Difference between base speed and speed?

Apr 9, 2020
hey there, I want to know whats the difference between them and why is my speed 4 GHz and base speed is 2.30 GHz?
im on laptop, Acer Nitro 5, i5 8300H.

Solution
Started playing Overwatch and the CPU usage went to 90-100%, 80 C, but it was still running at 3.8GHz. isnt that weird?
It went down a little from 4Ghz because gaming is more demanding than just browsing the net.
If you play for long enough and the cooling hit's it's limit it might go even lower.
If you play a more demanding game it might have lower clocks from the beginning.
hey there, I want to know whats the difference between them and why is my speed 4 GHz and base speed is 2.30 GHz?
im on laptop, Acer Nitro 5, i5 8300H.
Modern CPUs have option to boost frequency (not same thing as "speed") when OS and programs demand but other wise keep speed lower to have less of power usage. Also commonly refereed as Turbo or Boost. That may not happen to all cores, usually one or two.
It may also be possible to set it to run even lower than base speed.

Apr 9, 2020
Base speed is the minimum that you will get at a very heavy load with the correct cooling,if you do something lighter like just browsing the web the cpu can run faster because it is doing much less work.
Started playing Overwatch and the CPU usage went to 90-100%, 80 C, but it was still running at 3.8GHz. isnt that weird?

It went down a little from 4Ghz because gaming is more demanding than just browsing the net.
If you play for long enough and the cooling hit's it's limit it might go even lower.
If you play a more demanding game it might have lower clocks from the beginning.

Solution