[SOLVED] Different model PSU offered in RMA ?

vvstorm2

Commendable
Feb 20, 2021
Please help!
I have been waiting for RMA for my PSU from Corsair for over a month (my model was - CP-9020132-UK-TX650M)
And now as the model is out of stock they are offering me a replacement with another model - (CP-9020178-UK-RM650x)
Is this particular RM model better/worse than my TX model?
I don't want to get an older or mediocre model as a replacement.

Solution
So your TXM had Japanese caps ... and it failed. IMO it does not matter that much as you think. Overall quality and warranty length being two most important factors. And RM is certainly as good as TXM. That said, if your personal preference tells you to stick to TXM, nothing wrong with it too.

vvstorm2

Commendable
Feb 20, 2021
RMx is better then TXM. I'd happily take that offer.
Now they are saying I will get RM650 and not RM650x. My worry is the RM650 doesn’t use Japanese capacitors which were in my original TX650M. In fact, that was one of the main considerations while buying the TXM PSU in the first place.
What shall I do in this case?

So your TXM had Japanese caps ... and it failed. IMO it does not matter that much as you think. Overall quality and warranty length being two most important factors. And RM is certainly as good as TXM. That said, if your personal preference tells you to stick to TXM, nothing wrong with it too.

Reactions: vvstorm2
Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
Now they are saying I will get RM650 and not RM650x. My worry is the RM650 doesn’t use Japanese capacitors which were in my original TX650M. In fact, that was one of the main considerations while buying the TXM PSU in the first place.
What shall I do in this case?

The Taiwanese capacitors are way better than they were 15 years ago, they're all 105 degrees, and several are polymers and I believe -- @jonnyguru can correct me if I'm wrong -- that the capacitors on the secondary are Japanese. It's a modern design and there's nothing wrong with an RM whatsoever.

Reactions: vvstorm2

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
The Taiwanese capacitors are way better than they were 15 years ago, they're all 105 degrees, and several are polymers and I believe -- @jonnyguru can correct me if I'm wrong -- that the capacitors on the secondary are Japanese. It's a modern design and there's nothing wrong with an RM whatsoever.
Secondary side capacitors on RM 2019 are mostly Elite, with some Su'scon. Corsair seems to be confident that they'll last at least the 10 years warranty period so i'd trust them on this. Aside of non-Japanese capacitors it's pretty close to RM-x.

RM is a value full modular gold offering slightly less performance for a better price than RMx.
RM uses Teapo/Elite caps versus the NipponChemicon/Nichicon ones on RMx.
RM uses an off-the-shelf rifle bearing HongHua fan where RMx uses a CORSAIR-designed low-noise rifle bearing fan.
RM does not have capacitors in the cables, giving you about 10mV higher ripple, which is hardly anything when RM is already at 25-25mV on the +12V...
RM has different cable sets and offers 2x EPS across the range where as RMx only does on 750W+. Both are CORSAIR Type 4 cable sets and cross compatible.
Modern Standby is also an addition on RM for future-proofing.

Both good PSU. Built systems with both the past few years.

Please help!
I have been waiting for RMA for my PSU from Corsair for over a month (my model was - CP-9020132-UK-TX650M)
And now as the model is out of stock they are offering me a replacement with another model - (CP-9020178-UK-RM650x)
Is this particular RM model better/worse than my TX model?
I don't want to get an older or mediocre model as a replacement.

DM me your ticket number if you did this RMA via Corsair.

You're doing this RMA via Corsair and not a local dealer/distributor, right?

vvstorm2

Commendable
Feb 20, 2021
Yeah... being told they can't send you a TX650M doesn't make sense if you're actually contacting Corsair for the RMA. I currently see 1160 pieces of CP-9020132-UK in our Almere warehouse.

Please @vvstorm2 DM me your ticket number.

I bought it in India and RMA is happening through Corsair India. I guess in India they use the same model name CP-xxxx-UK. So maybe the stocks are not available in India and that is the reason they are not giving me TXM or RMx

I bought it in India and RMA is happening through Corsair India. I guess in India they use the same model name CP-xxxx-UK. So maybe the stocks are not available in India and that is the reason they are not giving me TXM or RMx

Ah.. Corsair's India RMA's are handled through Kaizen. So did you go through the Corsair support portal and get a ticket number: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000397351

Or did you just contact Kaizen ("Corsair India") directly?

Problem with India inventory is they don't use Corsair warehouses. Product ships directly to distribution in India.

EDIT: Got some background. India has been requiring BIS certification recently. Since a new version of TX-M is shipping soon, they decided to not get BIS certification for current TX-M and only the new version, which may not be in stock yet. So if you want to get a TX650M like you have now, you have to either wait or get it processed through Corsair in Taiwan, etc. The reason you can't get RM650x is because a lot of regions, especially India, associate low wattage with low end and high wattage with high end. In other words, there's no such thing as a high end 550W, 650W, etc. So they don't even bother to order them.

Last edited:

vvstorm2

Commendable
Feb 20, 2021
Ah.. Corsair's India RMA's are handled through Kaizen. So did you go through the Corsair support portal and get a ticket number: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000397351

Or did you just contact Kaizen ("Corsair India") directly?

Problem with India inventory is they don't use Corsair warehouses. Product ships directly to distribution in India.

EDIT: Got some background. India has been requiring BIS certification recently. Since a new version of TX-M is shipping soon, they decided to not get BIS certification for current TX-M and only the new version, which may not be in stock yet. So if you want to get a TX650M like you have now, you have to either wait or get it processed through Corsair in Taiwan, etc. The reason you can't get RM650x is because a lot of regions, especially India, associate low wattage with low end and high wattage with high end. In other words, there's no such thing as a high end 550W, 650W, etc. So they don't even bother to order them.

So i started RMA by submitting the PSU at Kaizen. And since its been more than a month I wrote to Corsair India. That’s when they replied saying I will get the RM model as TXM is out of stock.

so as per your message I think I have only 2 options -
Wait until TXM is available, which may take more months maybe
Or
Get the RM now.
I think, looking at the replies, RM won’t be that bad a replacement given the delays.

vvstorm2

Commendable
Feb 20, 2021
I think you missed the part where I said Corsair India IS Kaizen. It's the same thing. Contact Corsair directly. Can you use the link I provided? Or does it redirect you?
Ah ya. I forgot about that part. And now I understand why my RMA tracking number is showing as ‘No orders found’ on the link you provided above.
But after submitting the PSU all communication happened with Corsair India (indiaservice@corsair.com)
Maybe that email id is assigned to Kaizen.
I will try contacting Corsair support directly.

Ah ya. I forgot about that part. And now I understand why my RMA tracking number is showing as ‘No orders found’ on the link you provided above.
But after submitting the PSU all communication happened with Corsair India (indiaservice@corsair.com)
Maybe that email id is assigned to Kaizen.
I will try contacting Corsair support directly.

Yes. IndiaService@corsair.com goes directly to Kaizen.

vvstorm2

Commendable
Feb 20, 2021
Yes. IndiaService@corsair.com goes directly to Kaizen.

My TX650M which exploded came with an E type socket plug which i guess is used in France. And I am in India, where we use 3 pin plug (almost similar to UK plugs) I am suspecting E type plug to be the reason of explosion as maybe it didn’t provide proper grounding when connected to the wall socket causing charge to build up. I am getting RM650 as a replacement with a proper UK style 3 pin plug. So i hope it won’t explode again.
I am now using a good surge protector, just in case. (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01N2B99ZR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share)

Any other suggestions to make sure it doesn’t repeat?

Earlier E type plug plug - https://images.app.goo.gl/4T4eRssXHcqmnGAfA
New UK plug -
https://images.app.goo.gl/ETWNMSVWd2NWKzNy9

vvstorm2

Commendable
Feb 20, 2021
How did you plug an E type power cord into a G type plug in the first place????

so we have D type sockets in the walls in which E type chord goes in easily. I plugged my earlier PSU chord directly in the wall’s D socket.
And now when I get my PSU replacement tomorrow with a G type chord, I can plug it in my surge protector, as the protector has Type G socket and protector’s main chord is D type which can go in the wall socket directly.

Last edited: