Info Different Ram Modules In Dual Channel

Dec 1, 2018
Hello everyone and have a good day. I own a G.skill Ripjavs 8GB DDR4 3000MHz Cl15 Ram module. I want to make it 16, but it is near impossible to find exact same ram module for a good price i mean i can push a little on price and get 2x8 (different cl and different mhz) approximately on its price. I just wonder if it is possible go dual channel with another brands exact same specification module ? Or should i get a 2x8 kit with some extra budget ? I want to stay at least 3000 MHz. What different it makes betwen cl16 and cl15. Thanks all.

Forgetting Dual channel just for a moment, it's a lottery as to whether different RAM sticks will even work together, dual channel or otherwise. May work, may not, no way to know until you install and boot PC.

Much better to buy a matched pair and try selling that existing 8GB stick.

Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If they work together, the higher spec ram (CL15), the motherboard will drop timing to match the other to 16.

Timing values can be random, most ram are happy increasing CL timings but not as many capable of lowering without some voltage adjustments. Voltage is another avenue to explore if mixing doesn't work.

As said, buying in pairs and selling your current stick would be a good idea.

Last edited: