[SOLVED] Difficulty setting up network at home

Mar 28, 2020
Good afternoon

I have at home a network of 1 desktop computer and 2 laptops, all configured with fixed IP and enabled file and printer sharing.

The Asus desktop has Windows 10 Education and connects wirelessly with fixed IP
The HP notebook has windows 10 Pro and connects wirelessly with fixed IP
The Lenovo laptop has Windows 10 Home and is directly connected by network cable (fixed IP) to the Huawei Router HG8247Q
In the router I have an external disk connected to the USB port

HP and Lenovo laptops in the explorer, I can see on the Network, all computers and the shared external hard drive on the router

On the Asus desktop, I can't find it in the "windows explorer": (I've tried to disable firewall on all equipment including router)

• I can't "see" other computers
  • I can't "see" the shared hard drive
  • I can't access the router by (\\ 192.168.1.1)
  • I can access both laptops if I put it manually (\\ xxx.xxx.x.xxx)
  • but I can access the router through the browser

I can't get through the router to find out the hard disk's IP, because it doesn't show me. I just know that the address is "\\ GATEWAY_SHARE \ usb-13f_1"

In short, everything is correct, only the Asus desktop is weird, will it be Windows Education ????

Thanks for the help, I hope I was able to explain the issue well

Carlos Soares

Solution
Interesting. Let's try to eliminate any network issues first. Boot a linux live cd on the Asus and see if you can access everything that way. If so, then there isn't a network configuration error, and Windows 10 Education or a configuration in it could be the culprit.
Hey Carlos, a couple of things and some questions.

One is that that way of accessing shares based on computer name has been broken for decades--use the IP instead. This applies to both the drive attached to your router as well as any other on the network.

Second, how do you have your fixed IP addresses implemented? Are they DHCP reservations in your router or literally statically assigned at the computer?

Ideally, you would want all IPs to be set up as DHCP reservations. The reason for this is to not only make management of IPs easier, but you quickly know when a system has a basic communication issue with the router because it does not get its IP address. And because the router is assigning the address, it will also setup anything necessary for that IP to have access to the drive attached to the router.

Mar 28, 2020
Hello SamirD
Thanks for your response.
Before placing the computers all with fixed IPs in each one, all IPs were being automatically managed by the router, but the situation remained with the same problem.

At this moment the router has HDCP to manage all IPS, Asus has the firewall all turned off, I have no AV installed or anything like that, but Asus, never gets to access the router, other than through the browser. The others succeed.
Why? :)
Could Windows 10 Educations be the problem?

Thank you for your help

Interesting. Let's try to eliminate any network issues first. Boot a linux live cd on the Asus and see if you can access everything that way. If so, then there isn't a network configuration error, and Windows 10 Education or a configuration in it could be the culprit.

Reactions: LRMud
Solution
Mar 28, 2020
Thanks for your suggestion, I checked that everything was fine in Linux, I formatted the PC and everything was resolved. Thanks for the tip