Digital Storm Takes on DIY; Its Prebuilt PC Costs $23 More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Swenson

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Sure, the price of the components adds up only slightly more than their price, but very often I carry over at least one component, usually the case and sometimes also the power supply to the next computer. Most of the time the CD/DVD/Blueray from the previous computer also goes into the next one. That saves an addtional $100 or more, so it's still cheaper by far to build your own.

nlreynolds80

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Not too shabby. While much of the reason I build my own is purely for the joy of it, it's nice to have an option if ever I need a quality build in a pinch.

Immoral Medic

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, but I would never use any of those configurations at all as a gamer. Just look at them. If I'm putting $1400 into it, I would put more money on GPU as opposed to a 3770k. They are putting money in the wrong places in my opinion. So what if they are a few bucks away from a DIY PC. No real PC gamer would build these configurations.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I guess it's a good thing DIYers don't just shop at Newegg. I priced out the $800 list, and apart from the appalling part choice it's $120 more than if you built it yourself. The $700 build is, likewise, $100 more (both including Windows, mind you).
Even if the price difference was as they claim, I'd still take DIY over Digital Storm any day. I enjoy knowing what I'm getting, why I'm getting it, and having the ability say that I got exactly what I wanted.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Great for someone who is looking to upgrade their 10+ year old system, and who is too lazy to build their own system from scratch.
By the way, DIY doesn't have to be a gaming system.
I'm more incline to trust PC systems from these guys rather than from Newegg.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
This is cool, but like someone else mentioned, I just like building computers myself more and having full knowledge/control over the components.

CarolKarine

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
kinda shitty GPUs for that price range. normally in my builds I trim the fat till I can get a 7870 in a 600$ build, cause, you know, the GPU is what really matters.

I was excited for this at first, because we'd have something to recommend to the people who refuse to build... Yeah, nope.
Why in the world can prebuilt designers not understand what makes a computer good for their target audience?

g-unit1111

Titan

Simple answer: They have bottom lines and profit goals to make. We don't.

Therefore they will sell a system that caters more to what they'll make on the dollar than what they feel is the best system for a given budget. I like this idea in that it will encourage more people to explore the DIY route but charging for customer service which should be included in the price of the product is not the best way to go about doing this, I feel.

christop

Distinguished
Yeah it is way more fun picking your own parts and building it yourself. I hate to say Digital store is acting like they only make 58 buck on the deal. I know companies that purchase like 100 cpus or more are getting a way better deal than me buying one from Newegg...

NeeKo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
The problem is not only the huge price difference, we DIYers ENJOY building up our systems, you can't sell that to us.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
They miss the whole point of DIY.. I want to choose what *I* want in my PC.. not what some company has decided to stock their shelves with.
ex: Most gaming PCs come with 8GB ram.. I want 12.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
The fact that it comes fully tested could make some people go this route. I know a few people who were put off of building their own PCs when parts they ordered were DOA. But yeah, this wouldn't let you actually get what you need out of your system. And if you're willing to spread out your purchases over a few months, you can usually find great sales for most parts that can really cut down the total cost.

configurations is a bit limited isn't it? especially for a gamer based market. Tom's system builder marathon has offered far better configurations at lower price points (especially the most recent one)

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
sounds like they put together a list of components that they get at signifgantly below retail and then said look what we can build... my favorite part is "optimized" such a stupid word... just liek best buy will optimize your xbox or ps3 by installing the latest drivers for like $100 when the dirvers are free its just a little time. sure if your time is that valuble then buy a prebuilt but i enjoy building my own machines and wouldnt' be makign money in the hours spent working on building it anyway

As some other's have said I also carry over at least some of my hardware to the next build. My HDD SSD Optical PSU if not to old will be included into the next build. Plus for me it is a hobby to so it is not just being cheaper but I enjoy building and customizing my system.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011

Nah, you just don't know who is their target audience.

Where it still may be a good step in the right direction in stead of paying a monstrous premium they aren't including things I'm sure like fans what if I want NOCTUA's thrown in there. Or special coolers they may not have listed, Cases is another example I like my Fractal Design R4 do you have that do you have the 900D do you have the COSMOS 2 do you have this and that. Also ram with so many different models of ram I bet you don't have every brand of memory at your disposal or enthusiast grade motherboards. I think this is nice for the BASIC user who wants a custom computer otherwise It really just misses the mark for me.
Step in the right direction but still light years away from stopping DIY people like me from doing it on my own.

Deals at the BOTTOM:
There's far less wiggle-room for pricing so pre-builts in the $700 and below can be pretty good. Part of the reason is the cost of Windows which is more even for a single-OEM license.
Also, this doesn't factor in the AMD GAME COUPONS. An HD7870 currently comes with $125 in games.
You'd still have to factor in shipping costs as a con for building your own, but there's other issues like a good COOLER on the graphics card and on the CPU.
Moot point if you don't know much about building a PC I guess and don't consider it an option.

upfront

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Half the fun is building it myself. One quarter the fun is shopping around and finding the best deals. Not to mention, I've not built a PC totally from scratch since God knows when. I always keep my cases for years, pass on the memory to the new system, Burner, Hard Drive, etc. The last upgrade I did to my Gamer was not even a performance item. I upgraded my case last year to a Corsair Carbide 500R just beacuse it was smaller and lighter than my old Thermaltake. I pased on the Thermaltake to my nephew. This is great for those who build their own but really do not enjoy it or someone who does not want to build one themselves, I have a friend like that. All others will eat up the 23 bucks if necessary. In return, we choose our own parts and have all the fun of building. I don't know what kind of warranty this company offers but, depending on the part I can get between one and five years. Don't get me wrong the system on the video looks nice, though I'll never choose a Micro-ATX board for a full size Case. Oh! and I do bench test my system as well that's another good chunk of the fun. ;)

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
this is cool and strange. directly competing against your customers xD thats a new one. though I do like building PCs, its awesome to have this option on the sides when I really dont feel like taking hours picking out parts and looking for cheapest reliable prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.