Dimension 3000 (with 1704FPT) vs Dimension 5000 (with E137..

Hi.

I am helping to configure a machine for a friend who is on a budget.
They are after a machine which will last them a few years (anyone have
a crystal ball?). They have settled on the Dimension 5000 (3.0 GHz, 800
MHz fsb 1MB cache) with a Dell E173FP 17" Value Flat Panel Monitor.

However, how does this monitor compare with the Dell 1704FPT (17"
UltraSharpTM Flat Panel Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand)?

Should I instead be encouraging the Dimension 3000 (2.80GHz, 533fsb,
1MB cache) with the better monitor? (this would be around the same
price when equally configured elsewhere).

They will not be using the machine for hardcore (3D) gaming. They will
be using the machine for Digital Photography, Image manipulation, DV
Editing, etc.

Thanks.

Steve.

<scrompton@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I am helping to configure a machine for a friend who is on a budget.
> They are after a machine which will last them a few years (anyone have
> a crystal ball?). They have settled on the Dimension 5000 (3.0 GHz, 800
> MHz fsb 1MB cache) with a Dell E173FP 17" Value Flat Panel Monitor.
>
> However, how does this monitor compare with the Dell 1704FPT (17"
> UltraSharpTM Flat Panel Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand)?
>
> Should I instead be encouraging the Dimension 3000 (2.80GHz, 533fsb,
> 1MB cache) with the better monitor? (this would be around the same
> price when equally configured elsewhere).
>
> They will not be using the machine for hardcore (3D) gaming. They will
> be using the machine for Digital Photography, Image manipulation, DV
> Editing, etc.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve.

I'd go with the 5000 based on performance and (possible) future upgrade
path. Be sure to get a minimum 512mb of system RAM.

Sorry, I can't comment on the monitors - but someone else in here surely
can.

Stew

The 1704 is substantially better than the 173. I
have 3 of them here and we love them.

> <scrompton@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>>
>> I am helping to configure a machine for a friend who is on a budget.
>> They are after a machine which will last them a few years (anyone
>> have
>> a crystal ball?). They have settled on the Dimension 5000 (3.0 GHz,
>> 800
>> MHz fsb 1MB cache) with a Dell E173FP 17" Value Flat Panel Monitor.
>>
>> However, how does this monitor compare with the Dell 1704FPT (17"
>> UltraSharpTM Flat Panel Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand)?
>>
>> Should I instead be encouraging the Dimension 3000 (2.80GHz, 533fsb,
>> 1MB cache) with the better monitor? (this would be around the same
>> price when equally configured elsewhere).
>>
>> They will not be using the machine for hardcore (3D) gaming. They
>> will
>> be using the machine for Digital Photography, Image manipulation, DV
>> Editing, etc.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Steve.
>>

> I'd go with the 5000 based on performance and (possible) future
> upgrade path. Be sure to get a minimum 512mb of system RAM.
>
> Sorry, I can't comment on the monitors - but someone else in here
> surely can.
>

> Stew

TRENDING THREADS